Would u drive Ferrari in the snow?? | FerrariChat

Would u drive Ferrari in the snow??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Johns, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johns

Johns Guest

Nov 2, 2003
    nj/nyc
    Full Name:
    Johnny East
    I was wondering if anyone here would drive their ferrari in the snow, I remember seein a pic of a Maranello parked with snow. If I had one I would drive it 24/7 just throw on some snow tires and drive =)

2. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Whenever someone asks if i drive my 308 in the snow,, i reply that Ferrari makes High speed tire chains - good for 160 MPH. I get some unusual looks after that. i have a winter vehicle here in colorado, and would never drive my 308 intentionally in the snow or wintery roads - especially since some states salt the roads, here in colorado, they gravel the roads heavily after a snowstorm, so i restrain from driving, even when the roads are clear of snow and ice - as the gravel tears up the paint and windshield.
    john
    78 308 GTS Euro -

3. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Absolutely not!

4. ragtop

ragtop Rookie

Feb 9, 2003
    My first thought on this is that Ferrari owners are typically the "right tool for the right job" kind of people. Ferraris are not the right tool for driving in snow.

If you try to drive a nail with a wrench you will likely bend the nail, scratch the wrench, and piss off your wife. Better to use the hammer.

5. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Absolutely not!

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I drive my F cars in the snow all the time. People raced 250 GTO's in the snow on the Monte rally. My daily driver has been a Ferrari for over 20 years. 308,TR, Maser Coupe. 270K miles on F cars in rain,sleet,snow, and sunshine.
    No Prob.

7. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    :D

As 50 Cent would put it. P-I-M-P!!

Unfortunately not too many nutcases like you out there who would drive their GT40s, nevermind a road Ferrari, in the rain/snow.

Cheers

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not a Ferrari but i did and even crashed it :D :D

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Not until I put a 3" California Lift Kit on my 550

:rolleyes:

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You don't need a lift kit. As long as you maintain forward momentum you crush down the snow and float up. I've driven in virgin snow that was much higher than my ground clearance in my TR. That one was fine in the snow. I went skiing in my 275 GTB several times. There was even a factory approved ski rack.

11. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I can't imagine taking a Ferrari in the snow- I have a hard enough time with the BMW in hard rain..

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I don't drive my Lotus in snow, but I do drive it all winter. The roads must be clear and dry which takes a day or two after a snowfall, and below freezing weather. When the roads are wet or slushy I take the Honda. The car is skittish in rain and I can't imagine driving on ice. I am careful to wash the underside when I can to get salt residue off. I don't understand the mentality of storing the car; any car is happiest being driven year round.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That would have to be a big NO!!!! I have been caught in the rain only once. As a matter of fact I even took the windshield wipers off. A) I don't want to risk loosing control of the car. B) I don't trust other people on the road in bad conditions. C) If you must drive in the snow do it in a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

14. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmmm... i HAVE been thinking of getting the stock metric rims/tires studded. Have aftermarket rims/tires so don't really care for the metric stocks. Besides, some 308's were properly done to avoid rust :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

Me driving in the snow :)

15. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    Snow? What's that?

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It wouldn't be my first choice, but sure, if necessary. I drove the 365 in light snow once, did fine.

17. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    No as soon as salt is layed down I stop...

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    James, you're the man!

To answer the question, yes of course. While not a first choice for inclement weather a Ferrari is just like any other car.

Drive them, enjoy them, fix them when they break and refresh them when they begin to show age.

19. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    #19 TOM B, Nov 3, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yup. Do it all the time. I try not to take it out until the roads are plowed as the car / tire combination is not geared for snow. But once the roads are plowed, sand and salt be damned !

Here are some pictures. Oh yeah. I wash her a LOT in the winter. Top and underneath.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Sharif

Sharif Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Sharif
    If I am ever fortunate enough to have a ferrari I will definately drive it in the snow, just put some snow tires on it.

I have a m3 right now and I can't stand the thought of not driving it everyday, rain, sun, or snow. I am sure the feeling will be amplified a thousand times with the ferrari. These cars bring so much joy, why not feel that way everyday?

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Tom,

Nice pic! And we MUST admit it, Ferrari red looks ever so amazing against a pure white snow background :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

22. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I drive mine even during winter but only on DRY days.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Does fine in the snow - just think ahead and control the energy.

24. Johns

Johns Guest

Nov 2, 2003
    nj/nyc
    Full Name:
    Johnny East
    Its nice to see that most of u guys enjoy drivin ur cars no matter the weather :) instead of keepin them as showcars, drivin RWD cars in the snow is fun, just make sure u have snow tires on!

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Only if I could put a snow plow on the front. Wonder what that would do to my lap times at Lime Rock ?