More Audi Maserati mixing, what about Ferrari? | FerrariChat

More Audi Maserati mixing, what about Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mark(study), Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I always wanted Audi to sell Lambo at its dealers( to increase its popularity) but they inked a deal to sell Maserati's.

I wonder if Ferrari dealers will be able to dump those new Maser showrooms they just built?

With Maser entinering the Enzo GT as a Maserati race car... Will it go against an Audi in its class? Could you see both sitting in a Audi Dealers show room?

----------------------------------
    Ferrari and Maserati boss Luca di Montezemolo recently disclosed details about the cooperation agreement between Audi and his company. Here below is the summary:

Maserati's cars will be sold by Audi dealers all over the world to increase its popularity. Audi will also provide financial services (loan and lease) to Maserati's models.

To Audi, it can be benefited by using the rear-drive Quattroporte platform. Montezemolo said Audi is now evaluating the platform and is very impressed by its handling. He said Audi will develop a new model base on it.

The Maserati Kubang GT / SUV crossover has been approved for production. It will use Audi's 4-wheel-drive system, high-displacement and high-output diesel engine (remark: implying Volkswagen's 313hp 5.0 V10 TDI engine) and electronics to reduce cost, otherwise the Kubang project won't be profitable.

More surprising is that the Kubang's body will be built by Audi using aluminum space frame. This not only give it a significant weight advantage but also make better use of Audi's excess capacity in the Dresden plant, which currently builds only A8 and a handful of Phaeton (the excess capacity is mostly due to the poor sales of Phaeton).

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  3. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

Excuse me while I projectile vomit......

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Why?
    Audi is a great Co. with a long motorsports history and a great factory.
    Like it or not the Cayenne has helped P and will allow them to keep building great cars. IMHO without a much larger dealer network Maser won't be able to reach the units it needs too to help Ferrari.
    The Kubang will have some serious comp. MB, BMW, P, RR, etc and Audi's involvement can only help and make it a better vehicle.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    How much more money will this make audi?

6. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

I am not suggesting that Audi doesn't make good cars or that they can't help in some ways. I guess I am just a bit emotionally underwhelmed with the idea of a German car company becoming intricately involved with the cars from Maranello.....just my personal aversion.
    As far as the SUV issue, well, I have to disagree about that. My understanding from sources here in Jacksonville is that Brumos is having trouble practically giving the Cayenne away. From what I have been told the Cayenne may be viewed as one of Porsche's greatest financial debacles.

Regards,

Mark

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mark
    Facts are Facts. P sales were up 58% y/y last month. C sales were very strong. 911 sales and Boxter sales were down. P is increasing C production. C is bringing many first time buyers to P. Jacksonville,Fla, may not be a good market for C but other areas more than make up for it.
    As for the Maser/Enzo I'm getting one.
    Best

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Maserati needs Audi's financial services, they need a lease program to pick up the numbers.

I guess I'll have to go to my Audi dealer to put my name down for the Enzo GT

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The common thread is the aluminum (Alcoa) connection, which has been there since the 360! 4WD is another common thread. Just remember Harry Miller did it first!

These companies have been working together advancing this and other technologies, to the consumers' benefit.

The lines between automotive firms and between contries have been blurred in pursuit of product and profit. I think WE are the better for it!

They make Mercedes in Alabama now, you know!

10. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

If this is true I stand corrected. I truly despise SUVs so I suppose I was hoping that the Cayenne would show Porsche the error of its ways....perhaps I am in a small minority. As they say, to each his own!

Best,

Mark

11. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Napolis:
    I know a lot of people are thinking that if Ferrari is ever sold, GM would purchase it. However, I think that VW is really trying to get in the door, so that they end up with Ferrari. I feel VW is in a better position to take over Ferrari/Maserati. VW has already shown that they are not afraid to take control of exotic marques (ie VW> Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti). I would not be at all shocked to see Ferrari/Maserati under the VW umbrella within 5 years. What are your thoughts?

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Michael
    I don't see GM winding up with Ferrari. I think those thoughts came out of GM's option on FIAT which never included Ferrari. People figured that as an inducement FIAT might include Ferrari at some point but FIAT is not something that GM seems interested in anymore except in a limited way.
    As you well know, VW's involvement with Lambo is a very good thing, and it would not shock me if at some point they became even more involved with Ferrrari.
    Hope's all's well and that you can convince them to put a bit more interior storage into the Murcie.
    Best
    Jim

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Some dope in a Cayenne S wanted to drag race my 93 Vette roadster last night. Mistake, I think he's still looking for his doors :)

Its a friggin truck for Gods sake Why would any1 think it could tackle a sports car ?

14. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i equate VW buying Ferrari/Masarati to Wal-Mart putting all of the small time mom and pop local stores out of business. theres something to be said about remaining independent (or at least somewhat). this is just another example of a type of globalization. it has some upsides and downsides ...but to purists it really hurts deep inside.

sure Lambos have become better ergonomically and what not after audi bought them. but audi's involvement ruins a part of that company that they cant fix with all the money in the world...the name and heritage.

i know audi has racing heritage and such..but thats theirs and it should be separate from lambo's or ferrari's or masarati's.

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Awesome :).

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Whoa! Really? When is it coming out - when did this decision happen? How exciting

17. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Wow!
    So that means you`ve placed your order already.
    Tell us more about this car!

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    VW already has Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti? Is this correct?

If you add Ferrari they'd have every dream car except Porsche, MB and BMW which are German anyway. Germany would be the king of cars. (you have to buy a Jag or Lexus to keep from buying a German car)

At this Audi dealership.... its hard to make up your mind between test driving the Lambo GT or the Enzo/Maser GT? That would be so wild...I had to make a photo to see what it would look like.

Racing amoung VW divisions instead of Companies? Or Countries? That can't be good.

19. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Mark,
    Hehe!...Great photoshop

Maser/Enzo and Murcielago R-GT

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    William
    If you see my wife in her Twin Turbo C it will be closer than you think.
    Best

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    After hearing that I was able to drive my Maser home today in the snow
    (make sure you switch off traction control if you're going to try this) they accepted my order. :)

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Audi a quality car manufacturer? Have a quick search on the A4 or A6. Those cars are nothing but lemons. Being a mechanic I have seen numerous A4 and A6 cars with the front suspention completly shot,the rads are junk,the power window sysetm is a big problem with all VW Audi cars. They rust like crazy underneith and to do any kind of service work on the car is a nightmare.(not that bad if you've done a few mined you) The entier frint bumper must be removed to do a rad, to change the timing belt the entire front of the car must be removed. Ferrari's are a pice of cake compiared to these cars.

I do love the interiors though. They seem to be very well thought out and screwed together quit well. I just wish the rest of the car was the same.