hydraulic jack buy recommandations? | FerrariChat

hydraulic jack buy recommandations?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by adesalos, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    Any recommandations as for a good hydraulic jack (<$200) and some good stands to work on my 308?
    I would like at least 20" clearance, and rubber pad on jack and stands.

Thanks in advance

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Well, if you want cheap:

There is a 2 ton jack available at sears that will just barely fit underneath the 308. Not sure of the lift height though. But, it is $40.

Also, harbor freight makes one of those nifty aluminum racing jacks for ~$150 (maybe a little less).

If you do a search of the old archives, you can probably find more info on jacks.

Hope this helped. These are the only two I am familiar with. Maybe someone else can chime in with more suggestions.

Dom

3. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have the sears jack mentioned above and it works great. I fashoned a small block of wood to fit in the jack cradle that mates up to the jack point on the car.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I have the Craftsman floorjack, and I don't like it. The action is very sticky. When I twist the handle to release the pressure, so that the jack can lower, it doesn't do it smoothly. The clearance is 4", and the lift hight is 20". Also you have to put in a bit of effort to lift. If you have a COSTCO near you you can go buy a very nice floorjack there. It is an Arcan floorjack. I like it alot better than the Craftsman. It has a double pump that makes it very easy to pump. It is very smooth lifting and the handle twists easy to release the pressure. Both jacks lift 2,1/2 tons, but the Arcan has a lower clearance of 3, 1/2", and a higher lift of 21". It is a better floor jack in my opinion than the craftsman, and at a way better price. The crafstman cost me over $130 and the Acran was only $69. However I do have craftsman jack stands, they cost $20 for a pair. Happy shopping. Oh yeah almost forgot, neither one of them has rubber on the top.

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    ernie must not have the same Sears jack that I do. Mine was 1/3 the price he mentions, and works very smoothly and easily. I'm sure it's the same one Dom mentioned.

As a plus, it comes with a carrying case.

6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    4re gt4,

We must have the same jack. $40 Sears 2 1/2 ton I believe. Works great.

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep. The $40 jack with the carrying case. It was mentioned several times in the old ferrarichat archives.

I may have a slight issue with my car. Usually, in my garage, the jack will not fit under the car. I have to grab it by the rear fender and lift the car, while my wife pushes in the jack. But, I've use the jack other places with no problems (used it at a time trial 2 weeks ago). Don't know if it is an issue with my garage, the car (sagging suspension??), or what. I suspect at the time trial, I had everything out of the car, so it was lighter, and therefore up higher, and the jack easily fit under the car.

Dom

8. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    i'v e got the harbor freight Al "race jack" and so far i'm fairly pleased. it fits under mine, and my friends, ridiculously low cars, gets most cars up in 3 - 4 pumps and is small (light) enough to be easily toted along to the track. i got it onsale for $129 about 6 months ago, make sure to also get the right oil for it, and a set or 4 jack stands.

9. jr328gtb

jr328gtb Karting

May 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    i have not bought mine yet, but i have seen an aluminum jack advertised in Northern Tool magazine for $149 with a 3 1/2 inch low profile...anyone have htis one?

10. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I have the Sears jack that will go to the car with one pump ($130 or so) and agree with Ernie that it sucks. It is sticky and if you do not tease the car down carefully...$$$ Also the caster are not very smooth and it is just too heavy.
    I wish I had bought an aluminium one.

Gianluca

11. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I have two rolling floor jacks in my garage. One I bought years ago from Sam's Wholesale Warehouse. It is a standard type steel floor jack and it is heavy. If you remove the pad on the lifting surface, it barely will fit under the 308. It fits perfectly under the 348 rear end. I use it frequently with no issues at all. I am quite pleased. I think I paid about $45 for it.
    I also have an aluminum racing jack that Shad Shadowins GAVE me for a gift after I assissted him in his engine removal and reinstallation in his Lambo Countach. He said "here ad this to your garage, it looks cool, but I hate it". Since I've had it in my garage, I've used it little. It is flimsey and does not inspire confidence. He paid big $$$. We both hate it, but it does LOOK cool sitting in my garage.
    Floor jacks- Harbour Frieght.

I hope this helps.
    Jeff

12. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Weird. Gianluca and ernie spent semi-serious bucks on a mediocre expensive Sears jack, and Dom and I spent beer change on one that works! Castors silk smooth, etc.

I'm sure that Sears doesn't make any of these things, so it's a hit-and-miss thing as to their suppliers.

13. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    Finally bought my jack and stands at Sam's Club. Jack is aluminium (light!) but a little short to get to that transverse chassis bar on the back of my 308. I need to lift the car on the side to insure that it doesn't touch the bottom of the exhaust grill pan.

14. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    I just bought the aluminum racing jack from Sears on sale for ~$175. It's great and fits under my 348, 308 and TR. The action is smooth. It's fairly light at 45 lbs.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    IMHO that bar is too light to lift the 308 by. If i remember correctly, It's not a full bar, only a upside down U-Channel.

I've seen several of them that have slight upward bows and am pretty sure that's what bowed them. Bowing that bar will throw the rear end out of alignment big time.

The safest lifting points are the triangular pad adjoining the u-channel for the emergency jack, and the large structural member that angles outward behind the front wheel.

16. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    verell,
    That bar is part of the chassis, linking longitudinal bars together... hope I didn't messup.
    Any pictures of the triangle you discribe to lift the car? to me the emergency jack would only be use on the side to repare a wheel, not in the middle to lift the car...

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  18. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    No ifs ands or buts, the greatest jack for your garage can be found here:

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg1.htm

It's not cheap ($399), but it is a super-high lift, and super-low clearance jack that is *not* made in China like just about every one else out there (it's made in the Netherlands by an industrial jack company that makes mostly heavy-duty truck jacks).

Just used it on my 308 tonite - slides right under very easily, lifts it up very high...

-Wayne

19. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have an aluminum 3 ton jack from Harbor - about $150. Raises from about 3 inches to close to 18. Saddle height is low enough for under frame access on the 308. Lift height is enough for most jobs. Occassionally have to put it on a plank of wood.

It is well made, light, easy to operate and has a two part handle which can be helpful for tight spaces. My only debate is whether I buy a second one. I would buy again. HTH

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've used this one quite extensively out at the track. it seems everyone has one too! it definately rocks! and with a round thin rubber pad, it can secure a lift and not scrape up much underneath.

21. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    The only caveat is that those jacks are often made in China, which means that their quality isn't always up to par.

Honestly though, the quality is indeed improving, but this is still too much of a mission-critical, safety-concious tool to mess around with too much...

These are very cool jackstands too:

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg4.htm

-Wayne

22. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Old Corvette mechanic's tip of the day:

a hockey puck makes a great insert for the head of your jack to keep things from getting scratched up.

Ed