Brake recommendations for 348 | FerrariChat

Brake recommendations for 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bmyth-FDC, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys -
    The rotors on my 348tb challenge are near their last miles...
    I'm currently using Pagid brake pads with stock 348 rotors/calipers, with brake proportioning valve. While I don't mind the squeeky pads, the brake dust is really bad! It's nearly impossible to keep my wheels clean (luckily I have black speedlines). :) However, I really do like the performance of these pads... higher temp ratings and less brake fade is a fair trade for brake dust!

My question:
    If I were to switch out my pads/rotors, which combination would you suggest? (Ideally, I would like a setup that I can use on the street for daily driving as well as for the occasional weekend track warrior)

I was thinking slotted brembo's and pagid orange or porterfield pads... any thoughts?

Also - does anyone have any good connections for rotors/pads?

Please email me at: [email protected]

Thanks!!
    Byron

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I've done a little research and these are some viable options I've come up with...

From the guys at Cobalt Friction:
    For street:
    Access Ultimate pads front/rear

For track:
    Spec-VR race pads front/rear

Rotors:
    Possibly go with stoptech 2-piece rotors w/full aluminum hats or standard OE Brembo solid/slotted rotors

From the guys at Carbotech Engineering:
    For street:
    Bobcat ceramic metallics front/rear

For track:
    Panther XP-8 front/rear (street tires)
    Panther XP-9 front/rear (R-cmpd/slicks)

Any experiences with these pads? Both claim to be rotor friendly and can withstand temps up to 1000 degrees.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have had good luck with Ferrodo DS2500 for street/track pad. If you live in really cold climates, these pads might not be streetable enough, down here in Texas they are.

These pads have good initial bite, high coefficient of friction, and take a lot of heat, and are fairly gentle on the rotors. I get 5 track days on a set, and have gone through 3 sets of of pads this year. My rotors have (also) reached their end of life after some 30 track days (7 on stock pads, the rest on DS2500). I think this is pretty acceptable for a trackable pad. I cooked the stock pads (pad fade), and have not cooked these DS2500s, although if you need more pad than these, you will also need a brake fluid with higher dry boiling temperature than ATE SuperBLUE.

These pads have little/moderate amount of dust, and (for my driving style) did not squeek other than a few times. This correleates to taking them to the track and grinding the pads down.