Metric tires for TR?? | FerrariChat

Metric tires for TR??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gabriel, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings:

This situation just gets worse ... Tirerack delivered the dunlops that they indicated fit the 86TR, but the wheels are metric and tirerack does not carry the metric tires. Graciously, they will pick the tires up and charge me to deliver them back to them. So much for their great service...
    Where do I find this tire? Thank you for any help. -g

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Coker Tire has them.

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Hey thanks.

I did manage to contact Coker, and they do have these incredibly expensive tires.

Actually, all this trouble just to change a tire has annoyed me to no end, I suppose mostly at myself for not knowing this when I bought the TR, and I'm probably just going to put her up for sale.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. -g

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GABE

DONT PANIC....CALL JIM MURPHY @ WWOC...AT 845 425 2600, TELL HIM I SENT YA, AND YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE A GENTLEMAN

REGARDS,
    BRUCE

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Gabriel, if you get upset enough to sell your TR just because you had to call Coker to get replacement TRX tires then exotic car ownership is not for you. Buy yourself a Toyota and be done with it. After owning 6 Ferraris I only wish my biggest hassle had been buying replacement TRX tires from Coker !

6. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    tirerack does carry the TRX tires, not all their reps realize this. I got some there for 100 buck cheaper than coker

7. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Parkerfe, one of my points was that there are plenty of TRs with 16 inch rims, and plenty of 16 inch single lug rims. Very few metric wheels compared to the regular ones. Why be bothered with the hassle?
    As of now, Coker is the only producer of these tires. -What will be done if they stop, besides changing out the wheels?

However, a good thing is that the regular (single lug) wheels will fit right on, so it might be productive to look for a set.

As far as exotic car ownership, you certainly have a valid point, and that is precisely why I am considering the sale. -g

8. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

How precisely did you do that?? They simply told me that they don't carry them. -g

9. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    A new set of CRAPPY TRXs will probably cost at least $1200...

I have a set of 16's for sale with new (0 miles) Yokohama AVSi rubber for $2K.

I also have a friend with a set of 17's for sale from his TR. They're speedlines, I think. No tires. Don't know the price.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, Michelin still makes the TRX tires in France. Coker just sells them in the USA. They're a lot of other cars that used the TRX tires during the 70s and 80s including BMW and even some American cars. The TRX tire will be available for many decades to come. If and when Michelin decides to stop producing them, Coker or some other company will buy the molds and start manufacturing them itself. While the 16 inch wheels may fit, they are not original and will affect any attempt to concour your car. Keep it original and drive it often, having owned a 1986 TR, I can tell you that the TR is a great car.

11. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    trx tires are listed right on the tirerack main menu if you search by size, go to the pull down and go to bottom, sometimes they are out of stock but occassionally they get them in

12. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Gabriel...mine has the metric rims also. I recently bought a set of used US size original spline-drive TR rims on Ebay for roughly $800.00 -- and they were in better condition cosmetically than the metric ones currently on the car.

Didn't necessarily "need" the extra set of rims, but my thoughts were to have both the metric and US rims completely refurbished / powdercoated, then install the US rims (better tire availability and selection) and "shelve" the metric ones (to keep with the car). The price of the Coker TRX's was not as much of a concern for me as having a better selection is. I'm in no hurry to do all this, as the current TRX tires on the car were replaced within the last year or so by the previous owner, thankfully.

As mentioned earlier, there is the option of aftermarket rims / tires, but I've always liked the "original" style wheels on the TR's...just a preference. Plus, the price for a complete set of aftermarket rims / tires would have been considerably more than what I paid for the original US rims off Ebay.

I see them on Ebay quite often...in fact there was a complete set posted (just after I bought mine) for a "buy it now" price of $1200.00 -- about two weeks ago.

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

<Didn't necessarily "need" the extra set of rims, but my thoughts were to have both the metric and US rims completely refurbished / powdercoated, then install the US rims (better tire availability and selection) and "shelve" the metric ones (to keep with the car). The price of the Coker TRX's was not as much of a concern for me as having a better selection is.>

Interesting. Thinking along those lines, I had actually bought a full set of 16 inch TR wheels & tires, complete with lugs & centers from a friend who changed out his TR wheels, but they were going to be for another (5 lug) TR that I was going to buy until it turned out to have more severe issues.

Now they are collecting dust in the closet, but on the bright side, they do annoy my wife greatly... :)

Mayhaps I'll just sell them instead... :)

14. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I am looking for a set of single lug US sized TR wheels for my 1986 TR so that I can go to more modern tires. Send me an email with a price and picture of the ones that you want to sell. [email protected]

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For those of you who insist on butcehring your Ferrari with non-original wheels, www.GaRedCars.com has a wide selection of single lug wheels for TRs, Boxers, ect...

16. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes

Thanks for the can opener parkerfe. :)
    Kelly