360 test pipes trigger OBD2..help? | FerrariChat

360 test pipes trigger OBD2..help?

Discussion in '360/430' started by gripet, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    Heiko sent me some test pipes for my 360. They are sweeeet! But I keep getting the engine check light. Can anybody walk me through the fix? thanks doc

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There is no fix, using the stock ECU's. Talked to two dealers and Heiko confirmed, you must change ECU's.

3. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    You need to install a O2 Simulator on each of your aft O2 sensors.

Ernesto

one4torque likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Ernesto:

Please could you explain what you mean. I wuld like to get the test pipes but not the ECU's beeen trying to find a way.
    Thanks

5. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    tried using 15,000; 47,000; and 22,000 Ohm resistors in the aft oxygen sensor sender wire. this helped for a while but the light keeps popping on. Surely, one of you computer brainiacs can figure this out. thanks doc

6. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Hey gripet, I just got Heiko's ECUs. If he has any more BUY THEM. They are the biggest improvement to my car. The difference is amazing.

Russ

7. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    An O2 sim simulates the voltage of your O2 sensor, and sends that voltage to the ECU to trick it into thinking the cats are still present and working. I had purchased them for my 360, but my Check Engine lights never came on and I never used them. I sold them a while ago.

Can you please explain what the ECU's do, in terms other than simply "its better?" Thanks... I'd be interested. Price?

8. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    t88power where did you get the oxygen simulators?? thanks

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    A resistor isn't going to cut it. The O2 sensor produces a voltage from 0-1 volt depending on the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust. 500mV (0.5 volts) is "stoichiometric" but most vehicle ECU's run the car rich at some times, and lean at others.

When the car in closed loop (when it uses feedback from the O2 sensors to determine fuel injector ON time), it puts more and more fuel in, until the O2 sensor tells it "Ok now we're running right" at which point it backs off until the O2 sensor says "now we're running lean".

So if you graphed the output of the sensor, it would constantly be going up and down above and below 500mV as the ECU kept shooting for the perfect balance.

When you put a resistor in there, you get a constant voltage, not a varying one. Therefore the car will keep adjusting the fuel either richer or leaner, expecting to see some response from the O2 sensor. When it doesn't see the O2 sensor changing it's value, it assumes there is a problem with the sensor, and throws a code.

That's nice - so how do you fix it?

You get 'O2 sims' which simulate the up-and-down voltage signal from a working O2. The thing is, not all O2 sims work the same or as well as others. I have heard the ones from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) are very good and work on cars that are 'stubborn' with other sensors. Give it a shot!

greg512tr likes this.
  10. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    talked with summitracing.com. Nice guys! They get their circuits from casperselectronics.com. in Mundelein, IL 847.247.0484 Also nice guys! Ask for justin. The part number for 360's built before the late 2001 model year is: 104037 After that I am not sure. thanks doc

11. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Hey Russ

Ive read threads about the ECU upgrade for the 360 tell me more Cost against performance etc.

What differance do they make??

Joe :D

12. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    SRT, lengthy explanation but there is yet another issue. Not only does the ECU look for a signal (voltage) from the O2 sensors, the ECU also looks for a different value from the down stream cat. In other words the ECU is "Looking" at how well the cat is functioning. When both values are the same, the ECU thinks that the cat is not catalzying and is inoperative.

13. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    Okay, all set up with oxygen simulators from casperselectronics.com; plus wiring diagram. Next get out the crimpers and dental mirror to work upside down. If you guys see a small mushroom cloud over the corn fields of north central indiana you will know I shorted the wrong wires. If it works I'll be back with a summary. thanks doc

14. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Well, for some reason my 360 came only with the pre-cat O2 sensors - no aft-cat sensors. I have been unable to find another 360 with this setup.

Ernesto

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    that's why you don't have a CEL.
    removing the cats, and running dummy plugs for your 2ndary o2 sensors will always, inevitably, cause a CEL. only thing to restet is to disconnect your battery; that'll keep it at bay for a while, but won't fix the issue (for which there is no fix).
    the only permanent fix is to run either 1. an obd1 ecu (maybe an early 355 ecu chipped for a 360), or 2. a standalone/custom ecu that won't look for the 2ndary o2's that you've dumped.
    however, a 2nd o2 CEL , while it will cause your car to run a little richer, won't trigger limp mode (like some catastrophic failure would). so, it's really only a matter of "putting up with" an annoying little light, and not knowing if something else has gone wrong in your engine; then again, if you really f&@ked up your motor you'd know.

16. Stephen S. Saia (sssaia)

Apr 14, 2003
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Stephen S. Saia
    Buy a cable that enables you to hook up the ECU to a PC. Usually the cables come with software to change all the settings. Go in, and change it so it doesn't look for an o2 sensor. You can pick these cables up on Ebay for about $120 with software. I don't know if that will work or not, never personally tried it, but I'm betting it'll work.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I use o2 sensor extenders w success on 01 modena w: decat headers, 200 cell cat pipes. No cel.

18. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I have high flow cats and trev did my tune and no light

one4torque likes this.
  19. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Same. Installed test pipes many years ago along with O2 extenders on my 02 Modena and only rarely get a CEL when run hard and long.

one4torque likes this.