Anyone else in West Michigan | FerrariChat

Anyone else in West Michigan

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by skipgt4, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    i am in the Grand Rapids area. I know Jerry is up in Muskegon. Anyone esle in the area?

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello skipgt4: I'm down here in Coldwater....and never see another Ferrari around here. I "hear" that there is a white TR in a small town about 20 miles south of me in Indiana, but have never seen it on the road. I'm definately an "island" in a see of rednecks.

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Jeff,
    As Skip said, I am in Muskegon but my company does some business in Coldwater (I sell Karcher pressure washers/steam cleaners/detergents/etc). Some of our customers are Hildebrands Marine Salvage, Branch Cty Road Commission, Galinas Concrete, NAPA store on 12 (can't remember the name) and tons of farmers all around Coldwater. It is one of my salesmen that usually goes down there, so I forget some of the names. Anyway, hope to meet you some day. Jerry.

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Jerry...yeah it would be nice to meet you too some day! I think our NAPA store was closed and the building demolished to make a parking lot. Too bad as they could get parts other stores can't. That is a stunning car you have!

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Thanks, and that is stunning work that you are doing on the TR!!

6. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Jerry, I saw in the GR Press yesterday that the high speed ferry is coming along well. Do you know where it will dock in Muskegon? it sounds like the trip to Road America could be shorter this summer.

7. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    It will dock in Lakeside at Great Lakes Marina which is basically Laketon Ave West until you see Muskegon Lake then the road sweeps to the left & is then called Lakeshore Dr. Go 1/2 mile & you're there. It is a high speed cat. BTW, I looked at that 348 at Grand Valley Corvette, & it had no records & he wanted $45K. It didn't look like it was cared for like I care for my cars.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    I've been here a year, transplant from Chicago. I swapped a couple of emails with a local TR owner here and he stated there are about 100 Ferraris in town. I've never seen any on the road.

I'm sure they show up at the Gilmore Auto Museum for shows, but I've not had time this year to go.

Maybe I'll see you guys at Gingerman some time, I'm there frequently.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello Rexrcr..K'zoo has about 100 Ferraris ?!?!?! Wow that's a lot! I have heard that Michigan has about 500 Ferraris registered, but dont' remember the source of this information. I get to Gingerman for the Ferrari gathering, and try to go for the Ferrari/Viper wars. One thing I haven't done there is go around and meet people, I just keep to myself. Perhaps some of us should post when and for what event we are going and meet up there sometime?

And speaking of Ferraris actually on the road, I was on a date last night and drove my TR even though the sky was looking pretty grim. Luckily nothing happened before I got her in the garage. I see that was definately my last drive of the year.

10. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Rob, if you ever want your car detailed right, go see Jim Anderson at Great Lakes Chemical at 5220 West Mich Ave and tell him Jerry sent you there. He is one of my customers and we swap favors, so I assure you that you will be treated right.

11. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm in Genesee County. I have a company selling aftermarket performance parts for Ferraris. We carry brands from some of the site sponsors. We would be very interested in being a sort of galvanizing force or point of contact for organizing events. You all can check out our website at www.dexmllc.com and feel free to call me or Jason if we can assist in putting something together.

I look forward to creating a community of Tifosi in Michigan!

12. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    It is a shame their is such a distance between everyone plus the wonderful roads we have in Michigan.

13. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    The long distance between people could be a good thing - it forces everyone to drive their F-car more! The roads, however, are another story...

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    On the subject of Ferrari-related things going on in Michigan...there is a carshow in K'zoo at Bronson Park called Italian Plus, I think they have it in August. It's open to any European car, and there are a few others sprinkled in here and there. I've been to the last two shows and it's small but very very nice. The organizer...Rich....has a very nice Diablo and is really down to earth and good to talk to. I told him that next year I will drive my TR up there and be in the show. Perhaps some of you would like to go too?

15. mr2speedracer

mr2speedracer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Nate
    carguy: you know i would like to go if you would post more information when it comes up.

thanks

16. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    I went to the Kzoo show years ago but I think I got dropped from the mailing list. As soon as you have a date let me know. i would go again.

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great...I'll keep everyone posted on the date. Unfortunately winter is here and we have to wait forever now.

But on a positive note, I am finally developing my "aftermarket" exhaust system for my Testarossa. Made a special bracket last night to fit the pipe flaring/bending machine and did some testing on scrap pipe....so far so good. Today I will look into getting some stainless steel plate to make the header flanges...it's coming along. I'll post pics as soon as things are worthy of it. If there is interest, I would like to be able to make the system for other TR owners. The total weight will be around 30 pounds, stainless steel, very free-flowing, and easy to install. We'll just have to wait and see.

18. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    #18 funshipone, Dec 11, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carguy what about my 308 I wonder how much less we could sell exhaust system than Tubi charges.
    Also all Michigan Ferrari owners post your car photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's a great suggestion about putting pics of some Michigan Ferraris!

As far as a final cost of the exhaust system...I have no firm idea yet...but it shouldl be maybe half of what the average tubi system costs, perhaps less if I can streamline the process a bit.

Oh...and here's a pic of my "beater" TR....

20. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    I am going to build a system for my gt/4 also, but not until next winter. What are you going to use for mufflers?

21. boxerboy

boxerboy Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    We are looking for you Ferrari enthusiasts in MI, Ohio & Ontario [Windsor, Sarnia} to help fill our charter bus to the Detroit auto show, Tuesday, Jan 13. Cauley Ferrari is providing the show tickets, we have to split the bus cost, $450 among 35-50 people. We will have access to the Ferrari show site and get to view the new Scaglietti 612 up close and personal. Bus is leaving Cauley Ferrari 10 am sharp, returning at 1 pm. Promises to be a great day, with no parking or travel hassles. Contact Dave Wexall at [email protected]. if you want to go. If not the minimum # of 35 sign up, event will be cancelled

22. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Now that is a deal....getting to the show can be a pain for parking and stuff, and here is an easy and classy way to go! And.....you get to be with other gearhead Ferrari people....what's not of love about that!

23. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    I'm amazed at the number of Ferraris here in Michigan!?!?! Of all the cool cars I have ridden in and drove I have yet to have the honor of riding in a Ferrari! Is anyone near Battle Creek willing to give a 20 year old kid a spin in one for dinner? I will have to come to some of these events to check out the cars... I own VW's but with the money I have into this stupid thing I could probably pick up an old Ferrari haha.
    My Corrado awaiting paint after the custom flared fenders to hold the one of BBS RS that were built for me in Germany :D
    [​IMG]

Kyle

24. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Hey Fellas!

Im not a ferrari owner bot yet anyway! yeah how may times have you heard that one.

anyway I was born and raised in kalamazoo MI but im in the US Marines now so im stuck in the deap south!

It will be good to get the cars out of hibernation!

25. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So you have a ZR-1 or two? Great cars! I too owned a hot '91 quasar blue / saddle ZR-1. I'm lucky enough to have a Testarossa now. Those ZR-1s do not get the respect they deserve that's for sure. I am just a few miles south of K'zoo down here in Coldwater.