Where are the 456 Station Wagons? | FerrariChat

Where are the 456 Station Wagons?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by lukek, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Apparently, Ferrari made 7 wagons on the 456 chassis. 6 of them went to the Sultan of Brunei.
    Where are they know, any for sale? What would be the market value of the 456 Venice?

"Honey, I just bought a station wagon for the kids, OK?"

thx
    luke
    SF, CA

2. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    I don't think you can buy them

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    where's the 7th one if the sultan only took 6?

doody.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wow! A 4 door Ferrari, I want a bike rack on mine. If there are 6 out there, I'm sure some point in time some will be offered to the public. It looks good to me.

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    at some angles, it looks like a 9-5 Saab..

6. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I read that some Ferrari VIPs in Europe also ordered the "shooting break" 456. There was even one for sale on the carclassic website about a year ago. They do pop up every now and then.

7. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    An issue of Autocar from the past year has a short article about a 456 wagon that was for sale. I think it might have been the same green one pictured above. I'll try scanning the piece sometime over the holidays.

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    a couple of them ended up for sale in London (think Taylor and Crawley had them) saw one parked up, fantastic looking car just what a ferrari GT should be, elegant, fast and discreet

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not as charming as the breadvan, but nice...

Does it seat 5? Or still just 4 like the 456?

If it seats 5, then I seriously want one!
    I need to get a 5-seat 4-door sometime in
    the next year or two... probably an M5...
    maybe a Maserati Quattraporte... or if I
    could find one, I'd be all over one of these 7.

Any other "wagons" built by Ferrari?
    A 246GT Breadvan, perhaps?

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    front view:
    (Note the DB Wagon, err...Shooting Brk. in the background)
    Both would look very cool with my kayak on top....

thx
    luke

11. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
  12. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    I really like the 456 Estate. I never saw one in real, but it looks like the perfect Ferrari (beside an Enzo). Fast, unique, practical and beautiful. Does anyone knows in which colours the cars are delivered? Have anyone s/n? Price?

I've an advertisement of Taylor and Crawley in Classic & Sports car (issue August 2001). And in the stock list there is an 456 Estate. Colour?

13. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    In a normal 456 GT, you have more place than in this Estate

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Seen a couple in England. They look a little odd from some angles--I think Ferrari just put a station wagon rear end on to a 456 front end. There's not much engineering or technical innovation in them. But they are certainly unique.

Contact Taylor and Crawley in England or Modena Motors (also in England--ask for Graham) and maybe they can help you find one. Getting it into the US would be a problem, but these might qualify for show and display exemption as only 7 were made, they are no longer in production, and you could even make the case that they are somewhat historically significant (custom ordered by the Sultan of Bruneii and his brother)--these are the three criteria for a vehicle to qualify under S&D.

I believe the Sultan of Bruneii's brother, Prince Jafri, was the real car fanatic, and these were commissioned by him. I don't think he bought all of them. Some of the cars in Bruneii come up for sale every now and then--through the sources mentioned above.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Huh? I don't know what that means.

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Who made this car?

18. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
  19. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Slightly off-topic, but there is a Bentley Arnage Estate for sale on Ebay right now, claimed to have been commissioned by the Sultan of Brunei. Any of these would make the perfect "family hauler". Look out Soccer Moms, Dads pullin' up in the Ferrari!

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    to the best of my knowledge, there were only six estates built. if a seventh exists, i have not heard of it. the cars were ordered by the sultan (actually, his brother, jefri, dealt with most of the royal garages dealings). i beleive he only took delivery of five of the cars. the sixth, is the one that appeared in england about 3 years ago and was later offered for sale (being brokered by the firm mentioned above). the sales price was something along the lines of "offers in excess of 1 million pounds".

since that car came on the market, many of the sultans cars have begun to appear- keeping in mind that they never existed according to the factory. marconi has two of the vehicles, an fx and a venice cabriolet. obviously, the cars can be brought into the us , but they are all right hand drive and do not meet epa/dot regulations. i would have to beleive that they are brought in under the exemption.

almost all the cars that were part of the venice project (including the cab, the estate, a four door sedan, amongst others) and many of the sultans others vehicles have been seized and were no longer in his posession as of july 2002. the sultan is in receivership and the bank (a bank everyone here has heard of) seized the vehicles and other property. the sultan also had a least 2 operational mythos, one in blue, and many custom rolls royces and bentleys. all the cars are in bad shape as they were simply locked up in storage facilities for years when the bank seized them. all of the cars will require extensive work to make them road-worthy again.

the cars continue to trickle onto the market very slowly as not to flood the market and keep the values high enough that the bank can recover its loss. none of the cars are being offered in the us and will not be publicly offered. about the only way one will begin to enter the us is if it is bought abroad and changes hands several times to an american owner, at least for now.

21. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Interesting. I didn't know receivers had been appointed. What bank would that be?

22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i am not at liberty to say, i would have to beleive that the info could be found on the internet, as the sultans affairs have not been that secretive.

23. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Hopes dashed !
    I will have to wait for the E55 estate, or for BMW to introduce the M5 as a wagon (they have them in Europe !).
    The Bentley is a little much, although I have always liked the idea of getting a Bentley Turbo R. The only thing that kept from taking the plunge has been Keith Martin's comment (SportsCarMarket):
    "The only thing more expensive to fix than a Bentley is the space shuttle"

thx
    luke

24. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    There was a blue one in Classic Car Magazine for £170K I think

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran