328 Unknown Wire | FerrariChat

328 Unknown Wire

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chiaro_Slag, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #1 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 5, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While removing the dashboard below my steering wheel, I uncovered the following wire that seems like it should be attached to something - Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    It is the ground wire for that socket. There is suppose to be a spade attached to the side of that socket for it to plug onto. By the way, your pedals look really good.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'll check that out - Thanks! Do you know what that socket is used for? I read in the owner's manual today... Can't quite remember - Some kind of light plugs in there or something?

4. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Your car came new with a trouble light with a plug on the end of the cord that fit into that socket. The 1989 328 trouble light had a plug that fit the cigarette lighter instead of the socket that you show in your picture which made more sense. Even some of the older V-12's had this socket.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the help - I found the spade you were referring to. :)

Thanks about the comment about the pedals - I have been working on the interior for the past month - Replacing carpet, re-dying the leather, etc. - Just happy to finally be driving. :)

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks again - I have located that light you refer to - Looks kind of like it would go in a cigarette lighter - I'll plug it in this socket once I get this piece put back on & see how it works!

Now if I could just figure out how to adjust the steering wheel height now that I have this cover off, I would be all set!

Thanks again!

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    There was a complete thread on how to adjust the steering wheel height not long ago. Unfortunately I didn't save it. Check the archives-either on this site or the old one.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Doc - I found that thread last night (from a few months ago). I think the car being referred to was a 308 - From reading it, I wasn't sure which bolts I needed to adjust - Or if it can even be done on a 328, so I'm still searching for the answer.