Question for PC-based Digital Audio Experts - Cakewalk Pyro 2004? | FerrariChat

Question for PC-based Digital Audio Experts - Cakewalk Pyro 2004?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JOEV, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I really enjoy burning mixed cds for myself and others. However, the one thing that annoys me to no end is the large differences in volume between older music and today's stuff. Obviously more modern music is mastered at a much "louder" level due to more headroom etc.

Anyway, what I need is level-matching software that will enable me to even out the volumes of all the different songs on a mixed disc, so I don't have to adjust the volume with each song on playback. Some basic digital editing would be nice too.

I did a little research and it seems that Cakewalk Pyro 2004 is very well regarded.

Anyone with any experience with this or any other program? Thanks.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Joe,

That is really basic stuff. i'd consider using Dartech Dart XP http://www.dartech.com/ . Only $80 and offers a good array of features.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Steve,

Thanks for the info - that software looks very impressive.

Technical question for you: How is it possible to raise levels in the digital domain without introducing digital artifacts? I tried Audio Catalyst's "maximizer" (or whatever it's called) and upon playback, I could hear some crackles and other noise.

For basic personal use, i.e. just mixed cds, is Cakewalk Pyro ok? My main interest is level matching with the occasional head or tail edit. Don't need any of the archival features. What do you think? Thanks.

Joe

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Joe,

>>>How is it possible to raise levels in the digital domain without introducing digital artifacts?<<<

Depends on the way the signal is altered. Digitally altering ANYTHING by definition causes distortion as you are altering (distorting) the original bits. Virtually all decent software uses 32+ bits processing and with good programs they can easily and PROPERLY handle things. If you hear crackles only during PEAK levels, then you are digitally clipping. You MIGHT want to first use some light COMPRESSION first, THEN raise the overall signal. Each song should be tweaked for optimum results by a human with a great ear/system/knowledge/experience. This is why we have professional mastering engineers :)

>>>For basic personal use, i.e. just mixed cds, is Cakewalk Pyro ok?<<<

Alas, never used it. Gave up on Cakewalk for Pro Tools. But a "proper" Pro Tools setup is MAJOR $$$ :-( and very much overkill for your usage it seems. Have dealt with the Dartech and many others over the years. The Dartech folks seem very helpful and knowledgeable. Think of them as the Paint Shop Pro (versus Photoshop) of the audio world :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the info Steven - I really appreciate it.

Joe