How do you buy a car? | FerrariChat

How do you buy a car?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hey all,

I'm just curious as to how you guys go about purchasing a new car. I must admit that I am a notorious impulse buyer, and when I see something I *really* like I usually buy it (BAD, BAD habit). Realistically, it is good to go out and test drive a bunch of cars; however, I found that old habits die hard, and when I was looking for a new car, I basically went into the Mercedes dealership and fell in love with the G500 and just had to have it. Too bad it was late afternoon and I had to wait overnight for the wire transfer to go through. At any rate, after a few months, i'm happy with my purchase, but wish that I had shopped around. There are a few other cars that I might have been happier with, but, alas, I'll never know! Restraint is a valuable lesson to learn.

How long does it take you before you pull the trigger on a new car? Also, how much do you comparison shop? Just wondering...

2. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I usually shop for so long I find somthing about it I don't like, Then don't buy it.
    I am the opposite of you. That can be a problem too.

3. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I put out an RFQ (Request for Quote) on our last car. I determined exactly what I wanted including color and all the specific options. I called each dealer and found out the general sales managers names and faxed an RFQ to each one of them.

We got a great price when they all bid against each other. Pretty fun process too watching these guys fax my RFQ's back (kind of like reverse eBay :)). Anything is better than having to deal with some of these guys.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    WHEN BUYING A NEW CAR, I USUALLY CHECK OUT THE SERVICE DEPT AND REPUTARION FIRST.

AFTER THE SALE IS DONE, THE SALESMAN FORGETS YOUR NAME AND YOU ARE LEFT WITH THE SERVICE DEPT FOR YOUR LIFE SPAN OF YOUR CAR.