Breadvan Model -- Hey DES! | FerrariChat

Breadvan Model -- Hey DES!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by karmavore, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    LOL - That car will always remind me of DES!

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    HOLY CRAP...!!!

i can't read a bit of what the site says, though... That looks EXACTLY like the Breadvan, too...!!! Does 200,00 transfer to $200.00 USD...?

Here's a little-known model factoid for you folks... According to my sources, more model companies have replicated The Breadvan than any other model... How's that for "wow"...? :)

Can someone help me out here with the translation...? i'd really like to add that bad beast to my shelf but $200.00 USD (+S&H, probably) is not conceivable for me, right now...

Slag, is that a bad thing...?

Hey, Karmavore - i've always admired your username; very original... Thanks for posting this... :)

3. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    According to the currency converter 200 Euro is about 241.63.Using www.xe.com. Neat looking model though I've seen them before somewhere.

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ach...!

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nope, thinking of a true fan such as yourself is never a bad thing!

I don't know much about that car - Would love to hear some history behind it - The design is pretty, well, original!

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Slag, someone wanted to know about it and asked about it in my pictures thread in, GD... In a minute, i'm going to answer all of those questions and that answer will be there, as well... i'll post it over here, too, when i'm done if you'd like... It's truly an awesome car with an incredible history behind it... i feel so fortunate to have even seen it, let alone ridden in it... The current owner was one of the most down to earth fellows i've ever met, too... Just so cool and we chewed the fat on more than just Ferraris and some other stuff... Really nice guy... i hope to meet him again, one day...

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I was the one asking in the other thread also. :)

Good write up - Now I know why it is the only one I have seen! Surprised so many models were made of it since it was a one-off.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Slag - LMAO... i realized that after sifting through the entire thread to answer questions... Sorry... :)

It's really an incredible car... A 1:18 replica is a must-have... i'll get it one day... :)

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    By Provance Moulage

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mule, any idea on the skill level of the one that requires assembly...?

That other one you posted is nice... What is that, 1:24...? Sweet... i'd love to have a model of each scale of The Breadvan...

12. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #13 Gilles, Dec 5, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DES,
    The car by Provence Moulage is a 1/43. In France, it's the 1/43 the most popular size. The car is a little different from now (Front and rear events...)
    I made it, and it's not a difficult kit.
    So, what are the sister's cars ???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gilles, #59 & #29 are slighted variations of the real thing; only #16 is a replica... The roof of the car doesn't come down at all, there's no window or vents on the roof and there are no Scuderia shields ANYwhere on the car... i don't know who made those other models, but they're not replicas of real cars... #16 looks nice, though... Are those 1:18...?

14. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #15 Gilles, Dec 5, 2003
  15. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #16 Gilles, Dec 5, 2003
  16. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #17 Gilles, Dec 5, 2003
  17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Holy Crap...!!! Gilles...! Where can i get more information on these cars...?

18. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #19 Gilles, Dec 5, 2003
    DES wrote "Where can i get more information on these cars...?"
    In this site... !!!!!!
    See Archives throught june 2003, the thread "Looking for pictures of the Drogo from the sixtees"
    Many infos from L. W. Ausbrooks.... !!!
    See at Barchetta : 2735GT/3611GT and 2053 GT but for it..... in 64...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Real bad time to be shopping Euros. USD at all time low exchange.

It kicked my ass on the factory 308 luggage set. Yee haa!

Just my .02, but my years of model collecting don't reflect the breadvan at that level, maybe the '64 GTO but not the van.

Hell, they are STILL making models of the GTO, at 1:1 scale out of GTE 2 + 2s!

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Gilles...

Hey, Speedy, what do you mean by: Just my .02, but my years of model collecting don't reflect the breadvan at that level, maybe the '64 GTO but not the van.
    Are you saying the replicas are not good...? i'm not sure i understand...

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    DES - Gilles knows his vintage stuff, doesn't he? Not the only F-Chatter who shares his vintage knowledge, either. Though it's not the most active section, IMHO, the best seat in the F-Chat house is watching the vintage threads.

By way of example in your part of the US - Napolis, whom you'll meet before you know it - understands, appreciates and shares the history and progress of each car he sits behind the wheel of. Whether his thread is posted in General or Vintage, we all gain knowledge and appreciate the marque even more so. Perhaps someday I'll slip into the shadows of a historical machine, perhaps not. You've already been blessed, but the blessings did not come to you - you went towards the blessings, and sometimes at not-small-expense for travel, and your extensive model collection and testimonials of rides in one offspring of Ferrari or another a blessings in themselves. Many Breadvan models have been produced, few have ridden in the Breadvan.

I suppose I could babble to get to a bottom line - so, all I'm really saying is - you're hungry. Hungry to share not only in partaking of the feast, but hungry to prepare the feast that you too, might share in the fruits of your labors. You've got a gift. I don't know if you're one who subscribes to the notion of a God or not. If you are, well, I'm going to do the ol' make-'em-speak-in-tongues-'n-chit riot act. Write, man.

Dammit, DES, write. Mano-a-mano, I'm asking you to absorb that which is here - BE Ferrari, write about Ferrari. Let it be written about what was ridden. Or BE that which you want to write about, even if it's seamy detective and/or romance stories, but BE a writer. Now, start eating them-there pencils, Mr. Hungry-Man, and put the "hung" in hungry once in a while, or I'll have to um, do something. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket.

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thomas, Gilles certainly knows his stuff... i agree with you, the Vintage threads are something special...

i've already had the extreme pleasure of meeting James Glickenhaus; he invited me down to WWOC during a tech session in the Spring; we talked for a while about his GT40 and his Dusenberg (sp?); he even let me help him close the big back of the car when he was ready to leave... Very nice guy and i look forward to meeting him again; come hell or high water, i'm taking him up on his offer to go see his P4; that is not to be missed... Someone mentioned something about a national FerrariChat meet; what better place than wherever James displays his P4...? At least in my opinion... :)

i beg to differ with one thing, though, Mr. Wax; the blessings, they DID come to me... The California members sought me out, invited me out to their party; John Houghtaling made first mention of the Ferrari French Quarter Classic, not i; i've been beyond fortunate that these blessings found me; travel was an extremely small price to pay for the experiences i can now relay over dinner with my friends or here on FerrariChat...

Piece by piece, i'm trying to get my life in order... i can't make some things happen over night, but i can certainly try... i'm a little sluggish with some things, that i'll admit, but i'm putting forth the effort that will eventually get me on the path i want to be on... i will write; then, now, tomorrow, yesterday... i'll always write... It's just the point in life where i can do it for a living that i'm not at yet... i have more to learn, too... So much more... i think back to when i knew next to nothing and compare it to what i know now... i've also learned that the more i learn, the more i learn that there's even more to learn- if that makes any sense... i'm hungry because i enjoy it... i'm hungry to learn about aerospace or politics or medicine because those things don't invoke in me, a passion like Ferrari does... Even above the other marques i so lustfully dream about, Ferrari captures me like nothing else... Like no woman, like no place on earth or abroad, like nothing; Ferrari is why i live and breathe. Literally.

...as far as putting the hung back in hungry, well... i'll need some augmentative surgery for that. :)

Lastly, though, Thomas, thank you... For your kind words.

23. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    There is also some good info on those cars on pages 553 and 554 in the book by Hans Tanner and Doug Nye titled FERRARI (simply enough).

According the the info in this book its unknown exactly how many were made of these Drogo bodied cars. Only one had the real Breadvan look and at least 2 others have the sloped down type rear as picture in the models above. However they list several chassis numbers such as 2819, 2735 and 2053 all SWB's. Very interesting cars.

As far as it being the most modeled by the most companies? Thats got to be incorrect or incomplete info. I've been building/selling models for a living for a fairly long time and if I had to guess which car was done the most times I would have to say the Ferrari GTO or the Porsche 956/962 series or the 57 Chevy. Its really kinda hard to really nail down.

Here are some pics of a 1/24 scale version done by MG Models of Italy.

Ed
    Island Collectibles, Inc

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ed, thanks for the info, i'll have to check out that book you mentioned... What models do you have in your collection...? If you ever the time, feel free to take pictures and post them, if possible; we'd all like to see 'em... :)