Basement bars | FerrariChat

Basement bars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Wolfgang5150, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Okay gang - need some help here. I've finished the basement, now it's time to build a real nice bar. Anyone willing to post some pictures of their basement bars? Need some inspiration/ideas. Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hmmmmm... Todd Geiger of Geiger's Gin Mill fame comes to mind... Todd...?

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I'll bring the dig cam home tonight & post some Sat a.m.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I built quite a few custom bars when I was a Cabinetmaker - you name the configuration, wax did it. Can't remember how, though. I did manage to get the most - oh, all right - 30% of the sawdust out of my brain after 11 years of being out of the racket.

Some things to consider while admiring other bars which may be submitted for your Emmy consideration:
    How much area do you have for this bar without #$%^ing up the rest of the enjoyment you're hoping to get out of this new uh, addition to the family dwelling?

Things to consider now that you know what you like, and gain insight into what a Cabinet Extimator, Installer and Builder will do to make a perfect fit.

How wide and tall is the stairwell coming down to the basement? Is it straight stairwell? Makes a big difference on how Bar is designed, assembled and disassembled at the shop, then transported to location, brought in sections to basement level, constructed, and finally, barfed on by that nephew who got that neighbor's 17-yr. old girl pregnant only hours earlier.

Style:
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
    Ranch Style (not salad dressing), Dutch Modern, Japanese, English Pub, Post-Modern Formica Okie, Shantytown, Octagonal, Circular or Eye-talyun Race Car?

You want a fancy overhead lightframe inside the bar area, as part of the frame or overhead, or will that go over the open area of the rest of the basement? If a lightframe is chosen, will it be recessed or extruded?

Overhead Racks or Uppers:
    Racks: Chained to ceiling? Held firm by posts?
    Uppers: Single? L-Shaped corner & over bar? Paneled on "patron" side or glass throughout?

How much space is for wine storage, be it in or out of case?
    Tip: Home Depot has cheap Wine mini-fridges.

You gonna have bar stools? How many? Or is the basement gonna double as a cigar den which will require chairs to sink into?

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    #5 Jerrari, Dec 6, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan