GT3RS vs 360CS comparison | FerrariChat

GT3RS vs 360CS comparison

Discussion in '360/430' started by G-force, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Hmmm, lets see...

A German magazine with drivers most likely to be far more experienced with Porsches than Ferraris takes what is probably Porsche's "fastest ever" car around a race track .6 seconds faster than the Stradale and suddenly the Ferrari is a "poser?"

It's funny that when a Ferrari beats a Porsche in a British magazine (much more fair comparisions) they don't make a mention of it. What else would you expect from a Porsche board? I bet that if you threw the keys to either car in different directions they would all make a beeline run for the red one :)

Paul

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    in the advent of fairness, the "posuer" comment was made by a solicitor of the site linked above, and not by an editor, driver, writer that did the actual test ; I think you've jumped the gun, paul
    also, considering the fact taht the GT3 RS is ~ 40k less than the 360CS, i think it's noteworthy to point out that the porsche is much more available to your "average" enthusiast v. the ferrari by not only price, but availability , maintenance and presents itself with a fair amount of heritage (a la the RS name, pedigree and livery).

hubert

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Porsche.............."there is no substitute"

I'd take either car any day FWIW.

4. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    I realize that, Hubert. I may not have made that clear in my original post.

I'm not knocking the Porsche. I think the the GT3, GT3 RS and of course, the GT2 are awesome drivers cars. But that board (again, a Porsche site) has a habit of "poo-pooing" any mention of a Ferrari being track worthy.

Paul

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    paul:
    i hear you, and "screw 'em" if that's truely how they are.

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    No GT3 RS for the USA? What a shame, looks like a terrific car for track days.

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    nope. irrespective of the fact that Porsche NA promised to deliver all ROW cars to the U.S.
    nonetheless, there aren't very many 'substantial' differences b/w the RS and a "standard" GT3, and the parts for a retrofit will soon be available.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The one who said Poser is RC the editor of the board ..and he later says he'd rather have a Murcielago..now who is the poser ?

Between a Stradale and an AWD 1700 kgs lambo ??

Oh and i think he sold his 996 for a E55 ...( not sure )

Thought so..

9. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    Who cares what RC (Rally Chris, LOL!) said? Besides, that's just his opinion anyway. Both CS and GT3-RS are great cars with many comparable attributes. If you can't decide between the two, buy one of each.

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

You can import it for the track- it just isn't street legal.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the real p vs f test is 360cs vs gt2 turbo which is closer in price and mission to be fastest track car around. Im sure gt2 would win but what would you want for your 200k? id take cs since gt2 is still too close to a std 911 for me.

12. India Whiskey Charlie

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    No, the GT2 would not win because a street GT2 is barely faster (1-2 seconds) than a street GT3 in the hands of a pro on a given race track. The GT3 is a much more balanced car and easier to drive fast on twisties. And, don't kid yourself by thinking that a GT2, or even a GT3, is too close to a standard 911. They are both in a different world.

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Viken, by "too close to a standard 911" 355spiderman may have been referring to the exterior, which I think is a valid critique of the current Porsche line. You have to know your Porsches to distinguish 996 v TT v GT3 v C4S v GT2. I have been intrigued by the GT3, but felt it didn't go quite far enough, I think what I really would have wanted is the GT3 RS. As you can tell, I'm a big sucker for the "race car for the street" marketing ploy.

Importing a GT3 RS for track use is a great, if expensive, idea. I wonder if Porsche felt that the US market wouldn't accept such a car? Have US GT3 sales been strong? Or, perhaps conforming to US spec for a small production run was not cost effective. I assume that anyone thinking about importing a GT3RS also would look at a SuperCup car? I've been a little out of the Porsche world for a couple years now.

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

What none of these sites say, is which is the easiest to drive quickly. I've owned Porsches, and maybe their quicker, but it takes a whole bunch more effort to make them go fast. For the average street driver, the Ferrari is a much better choice, because they are a lot easier to drive quickly. One of the car magazines tested the 360, the turbo, the corvette, etc. at Thunderhill. The average driver went quicker with the 360 than all other cars. The pro was also quicker with the 360, but not with the same margin. I think the test was in 2000, and they tested two of each manufacturer, Porsche Turb, Prosche Boxter, Corvette, Camero, 360 and 575. Fastest car: 360 by about 1 - 2 seconds. However, all of them were about 10 - 15 seconds slower than this old man on a motorcycle (GSXR1000).

Art

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    >>Have US GT3 sales been strong?<<

I dunno, but I dropped into a Porsche dealer in my area (SF Bay area) and they had one on the showroom, and said it was available at list price.

Gary

16. India Whiskey Charlie

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    According to Porsche, the GT3-RS could not be certified for North America. My guess is, it needed too many modifications that may have brought it even closer to a normal GT3 had they tried.

As to the regular GT3, they are selling everyone of them. The fact that some might have seen one or two sitting on showroom floors doesn't mean that they are not.

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

A manufacturer can certify anything that they want for NA or elsewhere.

The real question is, can they do it cost effectively relative to the number of cars that they expect to be sold as in the case of the GT3-RS ? Probably not IMHO.....thus no toys for us boys.