My f-car is on ebay again with wrong mileage | FerrariChat

My f-car is on ebay again with wrong mileage

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dr C, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
  2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It was rolled back?

3. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The speedometer was replaced by Ferrari, under warranty, when the car had 18,365 and the change was noted on the MO and, by me, on the KS title. apparently someone conveniently forgot about it when transferring the title. So, the advertised mileage is off by 18k. Was there a roll back in addition? I have no idea. But, when I sold the car, I had all of the paperwork and it was clear that the speedo had been changed. One very important reason to have all of the paperwork. Almost half of the mileage has disappeared!

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Echrist you are one straight up guy and it is refreshing. I guess the tempation was too great for the next owner . It's a shame for the next buyer especially if later when he sells he gets a milage check showing the difference. It will probably happen.

5. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Did you sell the car to the listing dealer? If so, he can lose his license (and go to jail) for odometer tampering (a felony). If there was someone else inbetween, you should contact the listing dealer and let his lawywers have their way with the guy that sold it to them.

Ed

6. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Actually, I sold it to a gentleman (a ferrari enthusiast) in New York, who did a fair amount of work on it and took great care of it. I believe that he sold it to an individual in Michigan who sold it to someone in FL. A dealer in FL had it for a while and tried to sell it (with the lower mileage) on ebay. I emailed the FL dealer about the mileage and he blew me off so I offered to inform ebay about it and he pulled his ad on ebay. Now, it's being offered on ebay by the CA dealer. Almost impossible to know who dropped the 18,000 miles.

I figure that one of the important services that ferrarichat offers is protecting each other. As much as I loved the car, people deserve to know the actual mileage on it.

I have e-mailed the dealer in CA about the mileage but no answer yet.

7. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    sounds like a bad game of "hot potato" that nobody wants to catch.

Ed

8. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Your right ED! I bought the car from you and the original speedo was with the car when I sold it to some weinie in Michigan who promptly hit a groundhog. This would be an excellent track car for someone as I put a Theiler performance suspension on it and it sits lower than stock 308s.
    Looks like the das tear is on the instrument pod. This is easy to repair.
    wonder if the rust on the right door was fixed? the ferrari patch on the leather trunk cover is sown on to cover a hole I made with a soldering iron (oops)
    Damn i did a nice job on that engine!

9. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It was a beautiful car. I still love the Verde Pino (metallic green).
    Good to hear from you. Do you still have the 512BB?

Ed

10. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I just checked my records and I advertised & sold the car with @49,000 miles on it. I wonder if someone recorded KM's in error. I know I had to specifically mention my boxer odometer was in km's when I registered in Florida.

Sold the Boxer last week and the new owner drove it straight through to Missouri - 1200 miles with no problems.

After 9/11 I have an urge to own American. Looks like you are still looking?

11. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I remember this car 2 years ago at a Cincinnati OH area dealer called Autolivery. Can't forget that color. Just ran an Autocheck and it shows that the car went from OH to CA in '02 and the recorded mileage in CA was @33k. I remember they were selling the car advertised with @32k miles and they had no records.

12. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Bob: If you have an urge to buy American, does the urge include the new Ford GT? If you get one, I would fly to FL just to ride in it (if, of course, an invitation were extended)!

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    echrist, as someone in the market for my first f car, thank you for sharing this odometer mystery with us. this site is a real blessing!!!!! ( thanks ROB)

14. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    thecarreaper:
    When you look at a car that has all of the paperwork, you know what you are getting. Look at one without the papers and you are really playing Russian roulette with your checkbook. Missing paperwork is not an oversight -- it's reason to not look at the car any further, in my opinion.

15. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    As soon as I saw that the car was in Campbell, Ca, I knew the schmuck that had it for sale. It is Lyle Tanner Enterprises, whom I bought my 308 from. I had to sue him over blatent false statements that he made about my car that were untrue, which I proved in court. I'm sure he wasn't counting on the fact that I would actually fly from Michigan to Ca. to sue him, but I did...& I won. Stay far far away from this schister!!!

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think we should just keep our eyes on the auction, then, and email all the high bidders and let them know what's up

17. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm sure the bidders would be happy to hear about the truth. They would probably also start visiting fchat to learn more about the cars and their histories.

18. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The ebay auction closed today without making the reserve price. I did e-mail the seller about the mileage with no response. Apparently someone conveniently left out the fact that the original speedometer was replaced by FOA under warranty when it had 18,000 miles on it. This has been noted on the 308 registry.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    These instruments are notoriously expendable. I noted on the old site that my owner's manual even has a form to fill out WHEN (not IF) they fail! LOL

Don't worry. All those missing miles were "highway miles"! LOL
    You old guys (like me) will remember that used car pitch.

20. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    This may still be a good car. What if someone bought it and found it wasn't such a good car. You could sue the seller for fraud and get out of the deal. Sounds like an opportunity for a used car warrenty to me.

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ken,
    You are nuts....if litigation were only so easy! Dude, I hope you are joking, because I pity the poor soul that takes that advice... ;-)

Dave

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If someone does end up with that car without being fully informed, at least the actual milage is still reasonable It shouldn't make much difference in the price or the condition of the car. This still sucks, though.

23. axtman

axtman Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    Lincoln,CA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Axt
    I was not aware of this problem and I am pulling the car from any sale untill I find all the documents and get this correct. I am happy that Ed RR is sending me the correct document. Thanks Ed RR

Douglas A. Axt

24. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Excellent, a stand up businessman!

Ed

25. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Yes, I am nuts (I own a Lotus) and I also pity anyone who listens to a word I say.

Ken