tires | FerrariChat

tires

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jw6513, Dec 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    What tire seems to work best with a 308/328? I have new 16" rims coming and am planning on running 225/50 f. and 245/45 r. Thanks.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Everyone is going to have an opinion here, but for most types of driving short of track time, I would think that any of the z-rated summer tires would be fine(Yokohama has a very inexpensive tire called the AVS100 or something like that.) Most of us just don't drive all that hard and most any of these performance tires will be fine. If you are going all out, and want the best, then it will be the Michelin Pilot Sports, or Bridgestone SO3's. Those seem to be what all the guys who track their cars use.

Your best bet is to go to www.tirerack.com and use their "feedback survey" and such, lot's of good info from their customers.

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I use Yokohamas in the size configuration you're looking at. They've been great for the money.

4. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I am getting ready to replace my tires which presently are Goodyear Eagle F1 Front 205/55 ZR16 and Rear 255/50 ZR16.
    I was told by Ferrari mechanic to switch to Michelin Pilot Sports said difference in ride and handling is 200% better though Belle Tire installed $800.00 or though Tirerack $137.00 for fronts and $157.00 for Rears than take to BelleTire will charge $15.00 a tire for balance and mounting $648.00 complete.
    How do these other two brands stack up ride, handling and cost.
    Very interesting about tires look at Formula 1 racing.
    I am hoping with Michelin Pilot Sports little softer ride than Goodyears. I have been told Goodyears ride harder due to stffer side walls, and Michelin have softer side walls to give softer ride true or false?

5. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I put 20,000 miles / year on my 3.2 Mondial and drive in all kinds of weather.

I've stayed with the stock tire sizes . 205/55/16 fronts and 225/55/16 rears.

I get 12,000 miles out of my fronts and 20,000 on the rears. I first used Pirelli P-7000 but have switched to Continental Extreme Contact. If you read about the tire it's a lot of technology for the money. They ranked 2nd in the category of Ultra High Performance All Season. 1st was, I believe, Michelin Pilot's at twice the price.

I'm going through a 2 sets of rears and a pair of fronts a year so price was a consideration and at $84.00 each for rears and $70.00 each for fronts, they're worth a look. They are V rated and handle fine in the wet and the dry. I'll let you know on the snow very soon as we woke up to 12" + this morning . :( The traction is very predictable and controllable.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Tom

6. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    Thanks guys, your input has been very helpful. Jim

7. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    go with the s03's I'm on my second set, they lasted close to 15,000 miles, including a full track day at Homestead speedway.Great in the dry and excellent in the wet.Got them through tire rack.

8. rufus

rufus Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Toronto & St PetesFL
    Full Name:
    Pete Gorrell
    Prices here in Canada are not comparable, but I got Mich Pilot Sport at a (much) better price than US Tire Rack at Costco... 'tho they had to be ordered in.

9. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    My have own my 91 TR since new and had just recently replaced the original Goodyear Eagle Gatorback tyres that came with the car. I replaced them with Mich. Pilot Sports of the same tyre sizes. The differences are astonishing, the car rides and perform better in every possible way. I have heard from other people that S-03s are great tyres as well, but I think you may have a problem finding them in OEM sizes. I believe that was one of the reasons I went with the Pilot Sports, otherwise I would probably went with the S-03 just to show some support of the F1 team.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have the S-03's. I can't speak about track usage but I have been really happy otherwise. I quit running my street tires on the track about a year ago. Got tired of tearing them up. Whatever you buy, mail-order always (Tire Rack). You will save TONS of $

11. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    On the '85 QV I am using

7”x16” front, and 8x16” rear wheels (from QV London), fitted with
    Bridgestone 205/55 S-03PP, and 225/50 S-03PP types.

The performance is of these tyres is excellent on dry as well as wet roads
    (but, of course, NOT on icy or snow bound surfaces! ).
    Behavior is very predictable, with smooth transition between grip and drift.
    And very low road noise.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    My take would be: If you drive in the rain, go for the S-03s. If you only go out in the sun and want max performance, get the AVS sports (although I've heard good reports about the GY F1 GS-D3). If you want good performance for not much money, try the Yoko es100s.

And if you drive in the winter (<40F), forget all of the summer tires, unless you get a separate set for winter.