Bottled Water | FerrariChat

Bottled Water

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kenny, Dec 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    WTF- here I am drinking Dasani (only decent drink other than Coke from the vending machine in this building) - purified water Enhanced with Minerals for a Pure, Fresh taste.. so what does that mean?? tap water filtered through a Britta filter system??

When I was growing up as a kid, paying for water was incomprehensible unless it was Evian, or Perrier..

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Something like that, I think they use a reverse osmosis system.

3. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I am probably one of the few weirdos who are picky about water. Dasani, to me, tastes very strange. My favorite waters are:

1) Evian
    2) Vittel
    3) Fiji
    4) Deer Park
    5) Poland Spring
    6) Aquafina

I'm just a very strange person...

4. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Evian is truly the king of bottled water. And those beautiful bottles! Oh, and Vittel is good too.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ever try Volvic? Very good water.

DL

6. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Opps! Forgot about Volvic. That would go after Vittel and before Fiji.

7. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Pelligrino

8. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    It's just reclaimed , filtered water. Unless it states , explicitly, that the water is sourced from a "mountain spring" them you're simply buying filtered tap water; I just have (2) 3 gallon bottles that I fill up per week at the water vending machines. 0.25 cents / gallon.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ah, water - this is the second time I get to indicate I was going to post this as a subject someday... The first mention is on the old site.

One of life's simple pleasures is water - particularly mineral waters - as such, this site has been on my list of faves for a while:
    http://www.pmgeiser.ch/mineral/

(mineralwaters.org redirects back to pmgeiser, then to mineralwaters - it appears to all be on the pmgeiser server, though - so I use pmgeiser, dig?)

In particular, I find Italy to be a uh, wellspring of choice selections, as there are 568 Italian "brands," some from the time of Christ(!) - though other countries also have ancient springs which still produce, such as Tönissteiner from Germany.

The current highest rated water is from (drum roll)... Transylvania, and is not alone - as several Transylvanian waters are also highly regarded. I've not tasted the clear blood of life's sustenance yet, though I can say the Top Brands change order of popularity, rather than get stagnant, if you will. As expected, the best is from lands with a lot more history and culture of any description than the US - not a garden hose in Southern CA..

Easiest way to get your bubbles cheaply is to go to Trader Joe's or somesuch. Selection changes from time to time - some pleasant surprises mean I'll go back and get a case for 12 - 15 bucks, which will last 3-5 weeks, as I generally drink still water filtered through a Brita pitcher and the occasional Guinness. In fact... I'll go open one now... Aaaaaaaah, Guinness is good for you.

Bottom line: I prefer sparkling waters (or Guinness) to any Soda Pop.

10. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I am pretty weird about water too. Although I have never had evian or any of those brands for drinking at home, I have found a favorite of the ones that I have tried.

It is called Absopure. They sell it in either 16 or 25oz bottles at Meijer I think, and probably elsewhere. It is really good though, no strange aftertaste or plastic taste from the bottle... just water.

I really hate aquafina/dasani which is sad because it is the only stuff that you can find in vending machines. When this happens I usually just grab a powerade instead. I'm not sure what is wrong with those brands they just leave a bad taste in your mouth after you drink it. It says that salt is added in the ingredients list - maybe that does it?

11. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    If you ever wanted to chew on soft ice cubes, try freezing Evian water in the freezer...

12. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Aquafina and Dasani is just the same water that they use to make their colas with. It is such a bad water that they must add minerals for taste because no one would drink it otherwise. It is essentially a "dead" water. Nestle, who own many different bottled water companies are being sued right now for false advertisement. They own Poland Springs from Maine and say that the water comes from a natural spring deep in the heart of Maine. In reality their water comes from bore hole wells and some are on the side of highways and next to a garbage dump. There are good waters out there, Fiji is one and Evian is not bad.

13. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I am involved in starting a bottled water company with water from New Zealand, so I am up on all the water facts. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

14. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I love those Vitamin Waters... very light tasting with hints of flavor.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Did any of you see that cable show hosted by Penn & Teller when they razzed on the bottled water industry? It was pretty funny, showing how many of the bottlers get their water from every day town reservoirs. At the end they set up a scam in a posh restaurant where they had an actor pose as a "water steward". He would show the diners a menu of bottled waters, priced anywhere from $10-$25 each. All of them were actually fake, filled from the same hose out back, but when the diners sampled and compared the supposed different waters, they felt they could taste differences, often feeling the pricier waters tasted better. And you could actually see some of them begin to get an almost snobby fulfillment from it. When they were let in on it, needless to say they were all pretty embarrassed. Funny stuff.

16. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I have a water distiller which I use. Just take tap water and run it through the machine, it takes about 4 hours. Delicious!

17. paulb

paulb Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradley
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Evian spelled backwards is ... ;-)

18. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I'll be the first weirdo to say that I can't tell the difference between tap water and bottled water. It all taste the same to me really. As long as it doesn't have anything noticeably floating in it it's cool with me.