Hmm... transferring college | FerrariChat

Hmm... transferring college

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by androza, Dec 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    At the end of this quarter, I'm leaving my current college, Savannah College of Art and Design, as I hated my major (architecture,) the students (man, art students are annoying,) and classes (all of them lasted 2.5 hours, and were exceedingly boring/easy.) At one point, in the pits of despair, I was going to drop out of college completely, as I couldn't stand it. However, recently, my college fire has been rekindled. I've always wanted to go to New York University, and decided I need to do it. I want to major in finance. The only problem is I'm not sure they'll accept me. In highschool, society tries to drill into your head that you'll never get into any good school, unless you're the best of the best. According to NYU's website, I qualify. I have a 3.4 GPA after a year and a quarter in college, but I do have one C (calculator sabeautaged me during exam.) Is that good enough to get into a first tier college? My SAT score fits within their average range, I have plenty of volunteer and work experience. I'm stressing about all this. Anyone have tips? Knowledge on college admissions? Connections to NYU?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dont stress, just contact NYU & ask for an interview. Theres a lot of Ferrari owners in NY

3. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Unfortunately NYU doesn't give interviews.

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If you think you are qualified, then apply. Make sure you have some extracurriculars, because they love that. but really, if you think you can get in based on their requirements, you probably can. Even if you think you wont, you might suprise yourself. I was suprised when i got into the college im at now off their wating list, and its a tier one.

5. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    From what I have heard, it is a lot easier to be accepted to NYU as a transfer student. This is the general case with most colleges. As a transfer student, you will be judged more on what you have accomplished in college than on your high school credentials. Make sure you have good recomendations from your professors. Good luck.

*EDIT* oh yeah, i would also suggest not declaring a major that is radically different from what you are doing now. It would be better to state you want to major in 'X,' where 'X' is what you currently have the best grades in. After you get in you can do whatever you want.

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Getting in as an undergraduate will be fairly easy if you already have the money to pay for it lined up.

Esspecially at private schools like NYU, if you can pay, you can stay. Find an alumni to write you a nice personal recommendation.
    NYU is one of the best schools. I had a professor who went there for phd work in Finance. Brillant people. Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com was there for a while I think.

<DIGRESS>
    I went Penn State for Finance. Not the best "education" but their alumni network and superb job placement program made the program worth it. For the price it can't be beat.

You're going to want an MBA eventually as well. Keep this in mind as you proceed. Don't spend all your education money on the Bachelors. A good masters is FAR FAR more valuable.

NYU is in the heart of the city. Its a great school if that's what you want.
    </DIGRESS>

Don't stress about it. Get on the phones and start talking to people. Esppeciialy right within the business school. Keep track of who you talk to and send Thank you cards promptly. There is gonig to be one or two key people who decide your fate. Most likely low level bueracrats Get in touch with them and don't hesitiate to send a fruit basket if they are good to you. I sent one lady a fruti basket and she found me a reasearch assistantship that ended up being worth $60,000.

E-MAIL IS A BLACK HOLE. Use only after first contact with a specific person.

7. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Isn't NYU need-blind?

8. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

I stand corrected. According to this link they are need blind for admissions. It does not say anyithng about transfers. When I was applying to graduate schools my ability to pay or not pay most definately was "unofficially" a factor.

http://admissions.nyu.edu/glossary/index.php

HOWEVER

Here is another link that may be VERY INTERSTING to the starter of the thread

http://admissions.nyu.edu/appprocess/transfers.php

Focus on this
    Exceptions
    Please note also that the Leonard N. Stern School of Business will not consider for transfer admission students who enter NYU via transfer into another NYU school or college.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    NYU is pretty easy about x-fer students. Give their website a try, as there is probably a lot of transfer info on it, and then do a google search for transfer information.

A very good resource is collegeconfidential.com, where you can get a lot of info about x-fering.

Keep in mind that x-fer students fill the spots that are void because of freshman and sophmore drop-outs, and there are a lot of those. If your grades are OK and you can write a good essay, there should be no problem getting in.

I know a good amount about x-fering, as I just finished my first quarter at UCLA as a transfer student. Gimme a holler if you need more info.

10. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    The Stern School of Business thing is odd. I'm still trying to figure out what it means. Do I need to apply directly to it, to get in? Do I need to transfer in and become a freshman again? Is it just not possible to transfer into it? I think I'm going to end up calling them on Monday.

Also, besides becoming a trader, what other options are open to finance majors?

11. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    The Stern School of Business is harder to get into than NYU Arts and Sciences. I was thinking about applying to Stern when I wanted to go into business. I changed my life path and now am going for a philosophy major and then on to graduate school for my PhD. To come back off the tangent, I am not sure how easy it is to transfer into Stern; however, you might want to look at NYU A/S to see if they offer Finance w/o having to be in Stern. I am under the assumption that normal NYU students will have the option to take classes offered to Stern students.

If you want to go to school in NYC, try applying to Columbia. I know most of you will be thinking getting into an Ivy with this and that... but I had a few friends who transferred into Columbia from really crap schools and they got in. That is not to say you go to a bad school, nor is it a personal attack on you; however, you might be surprised if you apply to Columbia. And, obviously, Columbia is a great school if you can get in!

12. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    No, SCAD really is a terrible school, though I guess it has a good name.

Columbia eh? I love their campus, I'm going to look into it. I really hope that I can just go to the Stern school, but that little but of information NYU gives on it is disheartening. Oh well. I'll figure it out.

13. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Stern is a graduate program @ NYU -- don't worry about it unless you're a graduate student....(I assume from your post that you're still working on undergrad, yes?)

The reason they have that policy is so that MBA's can't sneak into the Stern program by applying as an English Lit Graduate student. If you're going to complete your BA/BS (undergrad), then you can transfer to NYU and get a degree in Finance.

HOWEVER -- I'd check on all this by calling the school. Definitely worth applying however.

14. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I am pretty sure that Stern does have do undergrad as well as graduate programs, and that Stern is a separate application from the rest of NYU...

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I would steer clear of NYU undergrad. I haven't heard many good things about it at all. Lots of drugs / depression. In fact there have been three suicides recently in the library, jumping onto a floor that was designed to look like spikes from above in order to discourage jumpers. NYU grad schools are much better in terms of the lifestyle. Undergrad is gigantic and anonymous, but the law school really knows what it's doing, is really on top of the students - it's a real community. Just my two cents.

16. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I dont really have any advise, but good luck! SCAD does have a great name, but Its all about what you like. Do you know how many credit hours you'll loose? You might end up spending an extra year in college since business school is totally different from art school. Finance is a good and safe major though (its mine too). You can go into banking, personal or corporate finance or do just about anything. Have fun in NY!

17. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I dont really have any advise, but good luck! SCAD does have a great name, but Its all about what you like. Do you know how many credit hours you'll loose? You might end up spending an extra year in college since business school is totally different from art school. Finance is a good and safe major though (its mine too). You can go into banking, personal or corporate finance or do just about anything. Have fun in NY!

18. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I was going to say that, but didn't want to discourage you from transferring if that's what you really want. NYU undergrad is HUGE and impersonal. The area isn't so great, and drugs are very prevalent. Housing is also far away from the actual school sometimes, so you will be standing out in the cold waiting for the bus (up to 40 minute commute at times). For undergrad I would highly suggest going to a school with a centralized walking campus. IMO, if you want go to NYC, it's Columbia or nothing. All the other schools are aesthically bleak.

19. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia's campus is gorgeous. Yum, Beaux arts. The architect in me loves it. Anyway, I'm not taking any more classes, as it seems like its a waste. I doubt very many credits are going to transfer, and SCAD's none major classes are terrible. Anything in particular that would sound good to a college that I could do?

20. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hmm... philanthropic endeavors always look good. If you really want to go to Columbia or NYU...

I have a friend who got rejected from USC. Normally, that wouldn't be a HUGE deal, as he could just go to a backup school or whatever. However, my friend is obviously a complete moron as he only applied to USC. He hopped on a plane (NY to CA) and set up a meeting with the dean of admissions. This sounds completely crazy; although, he now goes to USC. I take it that colleges like persistence and dedication.

Also, if you can find an alumni or trustee to write you a rec. it would be VERY beneficial.

Final note: have someone review your admissions essay. A cogent, well written essay can make all the difference.

21. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    As of right now, the only NYU alumnae I know is only a few years out of college. Is that enough, or do I really need someone who has been out for years?

Writing essays is one of my strongest abilities, especially if they aren't analyzing a book. I don't think I'll have any problems there.

I have that one C in my college career, should I bother explaining that my calculator died during an exam? For some reason, it sounds like something not to mention, but what do I know?

22. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I was talking to my girlfriend about your situation and she seems to think that, as a transfer student, the university will not take into account your high school performance and SAT scores. They will, instead, look solely at your college transcript. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it is something you might want to verify.

I suppose explaining the fact that your calulator died might be of some benefit. Honestly, I have no idea. Also, with regard to recommendations, it would be more beneficial to get good letters from your professors rather than a regular alumni. There is a danger to getting too many recommendations from random people, as it can detract from the overall package you are trying to present. It is my opinion that if you are going to include a recommendation from an alumni, it should be from a major contributor to the school (or a famous NYU alum). Perhaps two professor recommendations and your NYU alumni recommendation would be good.

23. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Any alumnae is good. Even a few years out of school. Hopefully they still are in contact with folks at NYU.

Don't use any excuses in your letter. Just highlight the good things about you. Any attempt to excuse poor performance on a calculator would land you in the shreeder faster then you can imagine.

Sadly grammer is going to matter far more then content. Most likely the reader read 500 letter before yours. Make someithng stand out. I like to use an unusual(but correct) word at the beginning of my corespendence as it tend to get people to perk up and pay attention.

24. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    I figured I shouldn't mention that. Ah well. Grammar shouldn't be a problem either.