Question on re-coring a 308QV radiator | FerrariChat

Question on re-coring a 308QV radiator

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdross, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I may need to have my radiator re-cord and have a few questions.

1. What should the cost be for re-coring a 308 radiator?
    2. Can any radiator shop re-core a 308 radiator, or should I findout who the local dealer uses? I do not want the radiator to be damaged.
    3. Finally, is there a way to determine if the radiator really needs to be re-cored? I used a laser gun on it and there did not appear to be any hot spots. With that said, I am fighting a slight hot running issue once the car reaches temp. I am thinking that I have a slightly inefficient cooling system that needs a little help to work at 100% again.

Thanks.
    Ken

2. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do what I did: Removed the radiator from the '76 308, took it to a radiator shop and did not tell them what kind of car it came out of. They rodded it out, soldered all the leaks and repainted it. All for $69.

It now looks brand new and I consider it the most beneficial repair I ever made to the car. Even in the hottest weather, in stop and go freeway traffic, the car runs cool.

If asked what kind of car it came out of, I was prepared to tell them, "an old Fiat."

If your 308 radiator has never been repaired or replaced, it's almost a certainty it needs help.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    use this chance to dump the old junk Ferrari core and have them put in a new hi-efficiency core for you--about 400.00 should get a new 5-row custom job and will make your life a lot better.