New Porsche 997 Turbo video | FerrariChat

New Porsche 997 Turbo video

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by allanlambo, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
  2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    420hp now, should be 450-475 in the 997 (pure estimate).. Watch out GT :).

3. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow... That thing will be AWESOME.

I hope to pick up a 996 turbo one day. They are still a LOT of money.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Looking as ugly as ever...

--Dan

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Looks like they're going back to the round headlights again.

6. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I wish they would make that car more exotic looking. I would buy one in a second if they did.

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    ALLAN,

You seem to have good opinions overall, very fair, just curious, thought id try a non pcar board, as I am looking at one, but dont want the obvious biased, like the murci, but its out of my range at this point...what do you think of the 993 Turbo? hows it compare to your SV :)

8. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Definately, very 959 looking

9. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What are you smoking? :rolleyes:

10. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I actually agree with him.

Allan may not present his points in stellar fashion, but he does know what he is talking about. Definitely when it comes to Diablos and Turbo Porsches. I bet he does with Lotus and Ferrari too, but I haven't been interested enough to ask him his opinions. Honestly he seems to do it all in good fun too. Must admit I've had my share of laughs from his posts.

Now comparing a 993 Turbo and a Diablo SV...THAT merits the question "What are you smoking?" :) The cars are so different that you would have to be more specific about that comparison.

Cheers

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well, lets see, very hard to compare the 993 TT with my Sv. 2 completely different cars. I look at a 993TT as an option to a new Z06, or a Viper. The 993TT is definately very easy to drive, can be driven daily, and no one will give you a second look. There is HUGE performance potential in them also. My buddies bone stock 996 ran the 1/4 mile at exactly 12.0 @ 113mph. Fast enough to put a hurting on virtually any Ferrari. With a few mods, they are rockets. I also like them because it is a fun car to change and personalize. Tons of aftermarket available, from exterior to interior etc. Lots of fun. I guess to summerize, it is definately not a car i would consider over an SV, but it would be at the top of my list in the 50-60,000 price range, in both new and used car catagories. In this catagory, it would either be it, or a Lotus Esprit TT V8.

12. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    I'm with you, the last real Porsche was the 993. Everything after that is cold and sterile in comparison.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I REALLY hope that they keep the 993 style Turbo spoiler for the production 997 version. It looks so much better than the pop-up 996 one.

14. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Hot stock tip, short porsche.

This is what a company looks like when you totally sell out. Look at the front bumper, a joke, and bad one at that.

I am hearing rumors of people losing $50k on new turbos and even more on GT2's with virtually no miles, hopefully after the fall there will be a house cleaning of Porsche, the 993 was the pinacle, the 997 will mark an even lower slide, the Cayane is just laughable, I would would laugh too if it were not so sad. (I have had 11 911's until the 996 showed up, its just too sad to watch a great company go off a cliff like this.) IMO

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    You know what the problem is though? Companies today that have produced supercars in the past seem to rest on their laurels, save the specialtly models (anyone know who im talking about?) Sure, Porsche is doing the CGT and Ferrari the Enzo, but short of that, why is there no 5 in front of the power figures for any of there vehicles? I wanna see the real weight of a 360 coupe next to a CS and a side by side dyno...Allan is right, the turbos can be customized nicely, and that certainly goes for the new one as well, but the old one was just better:) The problem is, now, regardless of mileage, you are getting a 5-6 year old car, so i would just save like a bastard and go get a murcielago. Audi overall quality, and GOOD PAINT JOBS! and I think now they are running as well as audi's too..and in my view, they are not "audi-fied" in any bad way...these ARE THE GOLDEN years for lambo;) I cant find a ferrari that is as fun, save MAYBE the stradale...and i doubt it, other than in corners, not as good a road car either, the other fun car that i think might be cool would be the GT (ford) but...its a ford:)

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Porsche doesn't need 500+ horsepower. The 911 is a small, light sports car and goes 0 to 60 in sub 4.

17. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

The 996 Carrera is just shy of 3000 pounds- thats not too light..

18. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    A standard new 996 does 0-60 in under 5 secs.

You're judging what this car will look like from this disguised prototype? Right...

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's the right weight for the engine that's in it. That's the point. Porsche isn't just relying on the Carrera GT to hold up the company, as some people on this thread argue. The 911s are not slow by any stretch of the imagination, and to say that Porsche is just building crap and relying on the Carerra GT to keep it's name is plain wrong.

20. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

I never said that, I love porsche :).

21. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    guys,

I completely agree, I believe that the 911 range is superb, and if ANYTHING could go with the same engine in the next model...people dont realize that the capabilities of even a 320 HP engine is more than most can handle...the question is after a boost to 3.8 litres (if that happens,) what then? how big can a six get? Anyhow, to clear things up, what i was saying in my previous post was not that that Porsches are "too soft" as some say, but rather that in years past they really dominated in performance, more so than other brands...I recall (too young to remember:)) reading that when the type 930 turbo came out, it was unlike anything else, the 1979 version here had 300 HP, so much more than even the ferrari, and handling to match. Then for no apparent reason a lull for about 10 years with the same model....and then finally, a regaining of the title of baddest of the "real people" sports cars with the 993 TT, running 0-60 faster than even the new one...It seems that even the CGT isnt the absolute king of its domain to me...what does it do best? the magazines seem to indicate numbers that are less than sparkling...Lastly, back to the 911, its interesting to note that as this car moves forward, I see less and less direct competition...what about you guys?

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Inmo, for street performance, Porsche Turbos,Lamborghini,and the Dodge Viper dominate all. In Ferraris case, unless your in a Mega dollar, f40/f50 or Enzo, you might as well go home.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Wow... that car is really booking it. I'm glad they're going back to the round lights and the more 'widebody' style haunches - my favorite Porsche style is definitely the 930 or 993 whaletail. If the prices stay where they are for the 996's I think they'll keep selling well.