AMX/3- Bizzarini designed. | FerrariChat

AMX/3- Bizzarini designed.

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by FerrariFrank1, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Want to see something cool? Check out this website. www.prismacars.com Click "Sportscars". There is an American Motors "version" of a Pantera,designed by Bizzarini. 1 of 5 built. I never knew it existed. Looks pretty cool,for it's day.

2. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It was cars like this AMX, and the concept Corvette, both mid-engined, that caused Ford to put so much pressure on DeTomaso to get the Pantera on the road (from the drawing board to the road in 9 months) as fast as possible. They were afraid they were going to miss out on the mid-engine craze. Of course, the AMX, Corvette, and others, never produced their mid-engined cars, leaving the Pantera the only one to make it. If Ford would have given DeTomaso more time, say a full more year, I think they would have produced a much nicer car that wouldn't have had the early problems in the Pantera had (and which left it with a bad reputation in quality). As such, Ford, in my opinion, made an even bigger mistake getting out of the Pantera program altogther. It was the only thing then, and since, that was a competitor to the Corvette.

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    When I was in high school in Detroit I rode a city bus about eight miles to school. Every day I passed a body shop on Greenfield Rd near Schoolcraft that had one of these sitting outside on display. The American Motors headquarters were only a few miles away. I imagine the body shop proprietor owned it. They are even more beautiful in person than they are in real life.

4. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I just saw one of these AMX's live and in the flesh.
    It is on display and the San Diego Automobile Museum in Balboa Park.

So is my friend Art Wilson's 1906 Buick, but that was not as exciting as the Bizzarini.

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    especially with the front clip, it says "mach 5" to me. =)