How often should I change the transaxle oil? | FerrariChat

How often should I change the transaxle oil?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdross, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My car currently has whale oil in the transaxle. I am told that this oil was originally used by Ferrari and that there is no need to change the transaxle oil yearly. In fact, I was told that the oil could stay in there for many years since it is a "closed system". My question is can the transaxle oil remain unchanged for years without problems, or should I change it every year? If I need to change it, what is the recommended oil? Should I replace it with more whale oil, or use an Agip product? Thanks.

Ken

P.S. Where does one buy whale oil?

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ken
    I thought all oils decompose over time. Once a year is what I've done. Redline in the box.

3. Cenzzo

Cenzzo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Since the transaxle doesn't heat up as much as engine oil, it can go a lot longer between changes. I don't know about "never" though. Typically the guidleline is every 30k service. I use Swepco, and so do most of the Ferrari shops in the (San Francisco) bay area, so you might consider that.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    One does not buy Whale oils any more, these were phased out sometime in the late 1980 or early 1990s. Whale oils are still praised in differentials of old corvettes and owners drain and the refil with the oild stuff when differential work is performed.

However, if you track the car, you can easily cook the whale oil. And if you do track the car regularly, you should consider doing the tranny oil once a year at a minimum.

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Agip stuff isn't holy water, and isn't worth the premium -- I used their products on my ducati, until i got tired of paying way too much.
    if you drive your car hard, then you should replace the diff oil every 3-4 oil change, if not, then an annual change is good. and, remember to stay away from synthetic diff / gear/ tranny oils...

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Ken,
    Try NYE Lubricants in MA. 508-996-6721. They may have some left. Watch out for Greenpeace. :)

Tom

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Huh?? Redline and Swepco products are almost univerally worshipped for FCars, as well as (now) OEM synthetic Shell products. I've heard (not positive) that modern AGIP is synthetic too.

8. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes the recommended AGIP oil is a synthetic oil as is the Shell whch is currently the product used by Ferrari on new production cars. So I think you DO want to use a synthetic oil.

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Redline 75x90NS

10. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I go with every 2 to 3 years

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Swepco..... Its the only stuff I have ever used where I could tell a definite difference in shifting smoothness after it was installed.

The prior owner of my Daytona would immediatly change the transmission fluid any time a gear got crunched at all. While I am in general a whiz behind the wheel ;), I have crunched a couple of shifts. I changed the fluid afterward. Why risk having a tiny metal shaving mess up a bearing?

Terry