308 alternator upgrade | FerrariChat

308 alternator upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am installing my new motor and noticed that my OEM alternator is only 65 amps. with all the new stuff added to my car-(400W in lites alone) I would like to get an 85amp unit or larger--

any feedback on upgrading? any part number suggestions? anyone done this?

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Since I know that you've got access to a machine shop, I'd suggest going to www.summitracing.com and getting a high output (130A-150A) alternator with a remote sense wire to the battery.

If your V-12 engine is as prone to oil dripping into the alternator area, I'd rig up a shroud with an air intake tube that's down below the frame so it won't suck oil into it.

Otherwise, move up to the 328 90A BOSCH alternator with the shroud & clean air intake tube.

3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    On an earlier thread on alternators I mentioneded on outboard voltage regulator kit using a brush assembly and a Ford voltage regulator.

It lets the alternator put out it's voltage at an earlier rpm and increases output about 15% to about 83 - 85 amps. Best part of the mod is it's cheap! This only works withthe Bosch alternator.

I have a couple of kits in my parts stash and I've used one in my tricked Lancia for 8 years with no problems. Drop me an email and I'll give you a spare that I have gratis. It's a very easy install and is undoable if if doesn't give the extra zap you need. Remembe, I'm local.

Mitchel Defrancis is stopping by tommorow t borrow my trailer, so if you want to stop by in the PM I can have it ready to give you.

Jeff Davison

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I was able to pick up an alternator for a 328 and new bracket. With a few small bushings that i machined, it slid right into place and the V-pulley fit off of the old 308 unit.

Before installing I took it to an alternator shop and they changed out the core with one from a Mercedes which outputs about 104 AMPS---My car likes this one much better!!!!!

the rebuild was costly though---155.00