F1 Rule Change Discussion | FerrariChat

F1 Rule Change Discussion

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jason W, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ok, since the Racing Forum doesn't get many views, I'm posting here too.

Anyways, how many races are left? One?

So, now that the season is coming to a close, do you think the rule changes had a positive or negative effect on the racing?

Is the racing more exciting? More competitive?

Do you think what the FIA was trying to accomplish with the new rules was actually accomplished?

Jason-

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

pssst... the season been over for a few weeks now.
    schumi got his 6th title , and ferrari bagged the constructors too.

re: the rules. it depends on who you ask; the f1 techie-philes (read: engineering geeks) will say that the "sport" shouldn't be artificially spruced up by regulations meant to further "level the playing field" apart from the impositions of the fia tech regs; and there's the contention of the "purists" that believe f1 should be a sport, not a technical excercise (these people are still reading james hunt's "how to shag your wife's sister, and win a GP, at the same time.")
    as for everyone else... the 1 lap qualifying gets everyone equal TV coverage (bonus), and it get some of the fatser guys on a green tarmack to lay rubber down for the mid-grid runners (another bonus for the slower guys), but the overnight impound, imo, hampers the "racing" as the cars can't be fine tuned, etc etc.
    again, it just depends on who you ask, and what you like; i , for one, didn't sense that this season had any more "racing" than last season; it's just that there was more varied coverage. the racing has always been there, but it's 5 to 6 cars down from P1, and the tv cameras don't usually focus on the backmarkers...

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The racing changed for the better, but it had nothing to do with some half-assed rule changes. Rather, it was due more to the narrowing of the gap by several teams, some well-placed rain storms and a crazy Irishman on a mission from God. I'm all for tweaking things, but I wish BernieCo would ultimately have the best racing interests at heart. I would like to see aggregate qualifying times from friday and saturday. Right now, the first session means nothing more than TV time. 12 laps of old-school qualifying on friday, one at a time on saturday.

On top of that, with so many top-notch tracks available, why not choose the ones that are actually interesting. Sometimes financial interests need to step back for the greater good.