front license plate | FerrariChat

front license plate

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bcharbarneau, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcharbarneau

bcharbarneau Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I just received a warning ticket for no front plate.Can someone tell how to mount the front plate so it looks good.
    Thanks
    Bud

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I can't, but you might indicate year/model to get a better response.

(and add to your Profile please)

3. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I have been stoped 1 time for this and I just showed the front plate (THAT i KEEP BEHIND THE SEAT ) and said to the fine osapher"I am sorry sir but this car has no place for a front plate so here it is ". He was cool and no problem ,I have 3 cars with no front plates .

4. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    Front plates make just about any car look bad. I've seen a couple 360's w/ fronts plates and it totally ruins the car. If I were you I'd keep the plate off and hope you don't run into the same cop again.

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Unfortunately that won't wash in CA. They're on a huge push to enforce front plates so they can maximize revenue from red-light cameras. Many owners just use some form of temporary attachment to get the ticket cleared (double-face tape, chewing gum, use your imagination) and pull the plate off when they get home.

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I LIVE IN NJ WHERE FRONT PLATES ARE REQUIRED.HOWEVER MY FRONT PLATE SITS IN THE CAR IN BACK OF THE DRIVERS SEAT....WHEN I GET PULLED OVER FOR NO FRONT PLATE ( ABOUT 4 X IN 2 YEARS,)
    I GIVE THE SAME ANSWER" YES I KNOW OFFICER BUT THE FRONT PLATE BRACKET HAS STILL NOT COME FROM ITALY YET" WORKS LIKE A CHARM..........

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    A ticket for no front lic. plate. wow. that is some badass topcop work going there. Elite cops protecting us from evil no-front-plate drivers in Italian exotics.

That really works? I'll have to try that one.

I'd rather eat the $10 fix it, than a $280-300 judicial system fiasco.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I have a friend who is a reserve Sheriff. He signs off on them for me.

11-99 also helps ALOT!

DL

9. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    I am continually perplexed by the number of people who want help on a problem but do not give the courtesy of identifying the car and model perhaps expecting that we will look up the profile or prior posts and figure it out for ourselves. If you identify the car and model in the subject line those who own such model are immediately drawn to opening the message and helping out. I for one refuse to make the effort to find out the model and I suspect others feel the same way.

10. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Front plate on 308

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I've run no front plate for years on a variety of ferraris and only got stopped once ostensibly because of the missing plate. Until this year. I've been stopped 3 times in as many weeks for the missing plate and you know what, its just not worth the hassle. Even if the cops let me slide (2 out of 3 did, the third one interrogated me for half an hour and then wrote me up), its just an invitation to get stopped. Now i have to find a decent mounting bracket, cause the one supplied with the GT-2 is a piece of **** and wouldn't stay attached even at legal speeds.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get "euro style" plates that conformed to your local state requirements, were properly certified, and cost a significant extra fee to make the politicians happy? I'd sign up...

12. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron

That's a good one Bruce. I know someone that got a ticket for not having one.They do complain here in Jersey, it's one of the few things a like about PA.

13. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I just received 3 tix in 3 consecutive days for no front license plate. I will be contesting the latter 2 and parking with my license plate in the front windshield from now on!

#Q@$%@#^%@&!!!!

;)

14. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    The other day I was driving the Boxer past some construction where two cops were sitting. Of course I have no front plate. One of them motions me to open my window, then asks "where are you going with my car" no mention of missing front plate. Just to balance that experience, the other day I parked my 911 in a large, very empty parking lot 100 feet from the closest car. I pulled in at a slight angle because no matter how far I park from any car some idiot has to park right next to me. I come out and find a ticket for illegal parking. MFer, 44 bucks, nobody near me. Just a kick in the ass for driving a nice car.

15. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    why dont u just put it on???

16. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Here in NZ the front plate is mandatory and failure to have one can result in a $200 smack. I carry them in the car with me and have been stopped 3 time. Twice in the 308 "Officer - this car has a very small radiator and the plate covers up a lot of it" Worked both times. The 3rd time was in the Mondial and it was not looking good until a boy-racer sped past in a hot Subaru. The cop though the chase would be more of a challenge and ran back to his car shouting "Make sure you put the plate on" - I'm still thinking about it.

While on the subject of the constabulary - they have quotas they have to meet here. They must make so many(can't remember the number) "public contacts" per hour - this can be a ticket, or a stop to check registration/tyres(note correct spelling) etc or stopping someone to suggest a driving improvement. They then have a quota for a minumun number of tickets per hour.

Regards
    Andrew in NZ

17. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Good question...I suppose I would need the bracket first! :) Nah... I'll just put the plate in the windshield... that should work for now. It would certainly do a challenge car injustice to have a front license plate, wouldn't you agree? :)

18. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I think putting it in the window will call more attention to the fact it not on the front bumber :)