Why are signatures disabled? | FerrariChat

Why are signatures disabled?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Wayne 962, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I have been reading threads on this board, and I must admit, it's both annoying and confusing to figure out which car everyone has. I don't quite understand why sigs are disabled on the board? On our Porsche board, I have them turned on - no problems (no images allowed in the sigs). It doesn't slow down the server, and it certainly doesn't seem to get in the way of topics.

???

Maybe I'm missing something...

-Wayne

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Even without images, signatures are boring, simply due to repetition with each post - IMHO.

"Profile" is just a click away and shows info one wishes to share.
    Speaking of which, click on "User CP" at the top of page next to "Home" to fill in your Profile.

3. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I couldn't disagree more. The signatures over on my Porsche forum at the bare minimum tell people on the thread which cars they have. This is very valuable, particularly when troubleshooting technical problems...

-Wayne

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't mind signatures on other forums I visit, they don't bother me, but I don't think they are necessary. Here's the reasons I don't like it for FC...

1) Slow down the rendering.
    2) Signature info and more can be found in profile.
    3) After you get to know a user, you don't need to be reminded every post.

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I don't understand why you would end each post with what car you own. In a conversation, would you end each statement with this information?

If you are helping someone troubleshoot, and need to know their car, check their profile. There's no need to have signatures for this reason--troubleshooting posts probably account for 2-5% of all traffic.

If you are just curious and want to know what car someone has, check the profile. If they care to divulge this info, that is where it would be. Appropriately, IMO.

6. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    To each their own. I know it works wonders on our Porsche board with 15,000+ users. I only speak from experience. I have been here only a short time, and I didn't realize how useful they were until they weren't there.

It's funny that you mention rendering as one of the reasons that you don't like signatures. FC doesn't even appear to have the output gzipped Performance increased about 800% when we did this on Pelican. Pages that were 120K, were compressed right down to about 12-13K, and loaded tremendously faster.

Here's a gzip test I just ran on this site: http://www.desilva.biz/gzip-test.php

-Wayne

7. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, all right. I'll put a "signature" on every post.

_________

I am not the caretaker of a Ferrari, but I do have a load in my pants. ;)

8. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Is that better?

______

9. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The Persistence of Memory. It ain't just for an ant-covered breakfast anymore.

______

10. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    LOL!

______

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    signatures can be so bad on some boards, that you have to play a game of "find the text". Usually 10 lines of junk advertising for a 5 word reply- "great kill in your Honda dude!". Than another 10 lines of siggy junk for the reply "thanks man"

Plus it-
    1) Slow down the rendering.
    3) After you get to know a user, you don't need to be reminded every post.

12. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In a troubleshooting post, the person with the trouble will probably post what car they have anyway.

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    thank you for disabling them. I find most signatures quite annoying. most of the time, if it is text ONLY and one or two lines, that's great. but some people out there, especially the corvette and viper boards (yes, I'm pointing towards you guys) 1) don't know how to resize a picture to cut it under 950K and 2) don't know how to resize a picture to keep it under 600x600 which it takes up more than enough screen real estate.

14. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Definitely better without signatures. As everyone said just check there profile, sigs are to long and annoying in posts. Stop peddling your board, no one here cares how you do it there. If someone wants to know then they will ask you.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ouch. those aren't my sites so ease off. I was just commenting about two boards which I have visited in the past, and those contain the most annoying signatures of all the car boards I've visited. and fyi, I've never posted on either of those boards, nor registered on viper/vette forums, so you definately have the wrong guy. take a coffe break man.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    As you know I'm new to vB. I have seen some options for gzip, but haven't played with it too much, I've taken a conservative approach to the software as I learn it.

Please tell me more about it. Do I need to do anything special on the server first? Any bugs with it? Works for all users?

Thanks!

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If we're voting, I'll cast mine for signatures OFF.

18. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Why would you assume im talking to you? Obviously i was not.. And if you read what i said i agreed. I dont get how you think i was talking about you? When clearly it was about pelicans offerings! Did you read what pelican is saying? I dont need a coffee break, thanks.

Oh i see now it had your quote in the post, which was not supposed to be there. But even so i would think what i said would clearly state how its agreeing with what you said and the rest directed at pelican.

19. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ahhh, okay. slight misunderstanding. with the quote, and what you stated, it sounded like you were directing that to me. thanks.

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    since we can each individually turn off stuff like avatars and signatures, the net impact of (image-free, size-constrained) signatures shouldn't be all that big a deal on bandwidth.

have the control panel default it to OFF for everybody and they have to turn it on to see them.

but they MUST be constrained. i get SO sick of these idiotic signatures that go on for pages and pages with stupid detail on every car some dude has owned and quotes from the bible and fifty movies and blah blah blah. just a line or two. no pictures. my two pennies, worth well less than you paid for them.

personally, i'll leave it turned OFF.

doody.

21. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    No problem.