Winter time is coming - what are you driving? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Winter time is coming - what are you driving?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I run RD56 ARB air lockers front and rear. T-case is an Lt230 w/difflock. Cryo treated 24spline shafts and cv's all around. 4.10 gears in the axles, and 3:1 reduction at the t-box. 33" MTR's on AR 15x8's.

The fronts don't like to see too much locker use though. I'm not a big fan of my radius arms. They bind quickly. Still max out a 12" fox 2.0 though. Have a Safarigard 3-link in the garage waiting to be put in. Just dont have stiff enough front coils to install it yet. The only good thing about Rover radius arms is that they allow for very soft front spring rates. I had some custom radius arms built a couple of years ago that had some castor correction in them. Anything over 3"s in a rover throws castor way off.

Craig

Oh yeah forgot to mention the best part.....
    She's been bobtailed 17"s

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    We are open front and rear, but I'd like to get a rear limited slip at least. T-case is an NP231 J, I don't know the ratio. Front axle is a Dana 30, rear is a Chyrsler 8.25" with 27 spline shafts (97+ had 29 splines). If I remember correctly it has 3.73's, 31x10.50R15 BFG AT's on black rock crawler wheels from 4 wheel part wholesalers.

3. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
  4. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Toyota 4 Runner

5. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Golf R32

[​IMG]

Some of you folks look like serious 4x4'ers! I think yews would like This

Clint,

6. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #56 EspritSE, Dec 8, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure I like it........ ROVER CHASSIS!

Bowlers are bad*ss. Chat with a couple of blokes that race them on the other side of the pond sometimes.

The pinnacle of Rover chassis coversions has to be the IBEX...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Eddie Bauer Edition 4x4 Ford Expedition. This thing is great fun. Yes I take it 4x4ing, even though I'm in So Cali. For a stock truck this thing climbs great. The first week that I got it I took it out for a test run of the automatic lockers. Found out that the gears were messed up. But the dealer fixxed it. Around here you see all these Hummers, Range Rovers, BMW X5's, Mercedes ML's, Navigators, and Escalades with 24" rims on them, that NEVER EVER seen any 4x4 action. What a waist! What a joke. I call them "Armorall Queens". One thing I can't stand is when people buy a 4x4 and never use it. GET IT DIRTY! I keep my truck relatively clean. But it sure does like a good mud bath. A few months ago I had it in for a tune up. I told the service guy that unlike others, I use my 4-wheel drive. He thought I was joking until he lifted the hood and saw all the mud splash's in the engine bay. If your gonna get a 4x4, USE IT!

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Guys, we're talking "winter", not "grand canyon", here.

For roads in slippery stuff, weight distribution counts for more than AWD. (Everybody has all wheel brakes ... for all the good it does.) The best handling car in the snow I've ever had was an Alfa GTV-6, with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution. But if you let it stop, the Eagle VRs wouldn't get it going again.

So for this winter: Evolution VIII with Nokian tires. (Think Sn*Drift rally)

If Dave Higgins can take one through Frostbite Falls at 90mph, I think it'll get me to work in Massachusetts, behind some Caravan that shouldn't be out in the wet, much less snow. ;)