Separate 308 engine from Transmission | FerrariChat

Separate 308 engine from Transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lou staller, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    My next major project is to separate the engine from the transmission from my 308 QV. The assembly is out of the car on a dolly. Do I have to remove the diff first? I haven't really looked at the assembly yet. I thought someone could help with some advice before I get into it. Thanks...

2. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    The diff cover will hit the bottom of the rear head, unless you remove the studs. Normally, you'd separate the block and trans before you'd pull the diff cover. The block/trans can only be separated after you remove the transfer case, the bell housing and the rear main cover. Don't forget to remove the dipstick tube. In order to remove the transfer case, you'll need to ring nut tool for the lower transfer gear.

3. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    The engine is out of the car and sitting on a dolly. The clutch housing, transfer case, spacer and cylinder heads are all removed. It's virtually a bear short block still bolted to the transmission unit. After looking at the assembly this morning, while waiting for my car pool, I noticed under the 20 years of grease and grime 12 bolts running along the bottom of the block where it meets with the transmission. It looks like I might be able to separate the block from the transmission by removing those nuts. Can I? I would really like to not have to separate the diff from the tranny if I don't have to. Can I simply pull the block from the tranny without messing with the diff or tranny?

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Lou, reading carefully that's what Ric just said:

The block does indeed come free of the tranny . Take a good look at the FPC & you'll see the block separated from the tranny in some of the views.

5. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Thanks Ric and Verell. After having a closer look at it this morning it looks like a simple job. Couple nuts and some lifting power and it's apart. I'll do it this weekend. And the fun continues!