Rolling 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rolling 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by plahaye, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    ya' think the red calipers are too much?

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    done...

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    what do you mean 3 more corners...

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Begging for steering rack to be hooked up..

5. plahaye

plahaye Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    S La. swamp
    Full Name:
    Phil LaHaye
    Dave,
    Where did he bigger calipers and rotors come from? If they will not stop you what will?
    Phil

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Phil, they are stock size...

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Dave,
    Have you located polyurethane parts for the rear a-frame outer bushings?

If so, what mfg & p/n?

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Verell, at this point I just have the inner which is the same that I used on the front.

9. nautique

nautique Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Los angelas, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig Tempelton
    Dave,

I am in the process of doing the same upgrades to my suspension as you (although, I went the stock shock and spring route). Where did you find the drilled rotors and are you using Polyurethane bushing for the sway bar link arms.

Also, does anyone know how to tell if my Ball joints need replaces. The lower one does not feel that tight but I am not sure how they should feel

ct

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Dave,
    Tell me about the sway bar grease fitting.... I assume that it is not a 'Ferrari' design??? Did the fitting come with the bushings and new support steel - or is it your own design or??

Thanks in advance,
    Vince

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Vince, the sway bar bushing is Energy Suspension # 9.5155G
    greaseable sway bar bushing set...
    Just remember that this is for a GTB, your car may differ.

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The rotors are Brembo from evosport,
    and for the sway bar link arms I turned some Energy Suspension poly bushings to fit.

13. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Philip, I have been looking over the brake cooling situation and don't know if I should buy one of the products already out for the 308, or try and rig my own config.
    What did you end up doing?

14. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Dave/anyone, anyone have a source for the paper constructed air duct that runs to the front disc? Mine fell apart when you removing the fiberglass wall that goes into the front part of the front wheel well. TIA. I am hoping Pepboys or someone like that sells it.

15. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Dave
    I bought a couple of large ducts (inlet about 5" x 9", matt black in color) and some 3" corrugated (silicon I think, orange colored) ducting from Pegasus or one of the other race shops. As mine is an early carb'd car, there are no driving lights under the indicator/side lights and I fab'd a couple of mounts to locate the ducts under the bumper and behind the grill. It is 99% hidden to all but a close-up and non-casual eye and it is directly in the air stream.

From there I routed the ducting to end close to the center of the rotor. I squeezed the heater hose ducts out of the way and tried to avoid having either of the hoses unduly compress.

After removing the backing plates, I had a couple of mounts made from fairly thick stainless. They attach to the steering arms (where the backing plates usually bolt) with a strong inverted U shaped guide that sits on the steering arm closer to the hub. When in position they are strong and robust. On to this structure I had a 3 inch diameter stub ring welded which forms the male piece on to which the (female) hose piece is attached. I then tie wrap the hose to the ARB to keep it out of the way of any wheel turning movement.

I think this is one of those times when a picture is worth a thousand words! I'll see if I can get the digital camera out in the next couple of days and post a pic.

It has really helped cool the rotors down and (along with upgraded pads and fluid) I don't get brake fade at the track anymore.