Fired up my TR tonight !!! Whew !!!! | FerrariChat

Fired up my TR tonight !!! Whew !!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carguy, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The saga continues...for those that have been observing my efforts, it seems that they are about to pay off. I had planned over the next few days to simply reconnect the various hoses, wires, and other systems since putting the engine physically back in the car. But the more I hook up the heart of the beast, the more the temptation grew to fire it up! The car is still on jackstands, with no exhaust whatsoever (grinning), so of course I had to fire it up if I could....right? Well everything hooked up, hop in and turn the key....vrooom... for about a second and then it dies. So I repeat this with the same results. Now I start looking at everything...check electricals...good.....check fuel pressure...good...check fuse box stuff....good. Hmmmm! Then I checked the fuel level in the tanks, the gage showed just a smidge....but you Italian electronics! So I added a couple gallons.

TIP: HAVE FIRE EXTINGUISHER READY FOR START UP AFTER A MAJOR SERVICE....JUST IN CASE....

I look the motor over one last time...YIKES !! The fuel distributor lines are leaking at the banjo fittings! I grab some wrenches and climb into the engine bay and carefully tighten things up. Hop back in and turn the key....vrooom..and dies. Okay, here goes one last try.....VROOOOOOOOM !! And then it settles down to a very smooth 1300rpm idle! Eureka! I let things warm up a bit to circulate vital fluids. Then while standing behind the car I blip the throttle......WHAAA......WHAAA.......oh my god this thing sounds good! It's running open loop so it's a bit rich...on deceleration blue flames would shoot out of the headers....VERY COOL!

Still lots of tuning and tweaking to do....but at least she runs! It seems to rev much better than before the service, maybe something I did? I am very happy again. Winter is fast approaching, but i will get a couple of drives in I think. Hard to believe that ol'e "Darth Vader" will be back on the ground again soon. I just wanted to share this with everyone.

Doody likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Way to go Jeff!! I bet that feels good huh? There is nothing like haveing that satisfaction of standing back..and think to yourself "I did that on my own!!" You should be proud of your accomplishment!!

3. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Agreed. Here's to you, Jeff!! You can be proud. I've had this feeling several times and can relate to your elation. Drive it harde and keep us all posted!
    Jeff

4. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Way to go!

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jeff, I've been following your progress for some time now, and enjoy your posts greatly. Through the bad (and frustrations), and the good, and all your hard work. What a grand day to hear it fired up and humming (roaring?) again. Hats off to you!

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Well Done!!!!!!!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    We want pics of the blue flames :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

8. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Great work, you can be proud! The best part is that you did it yourself and now have more inside knowledge than most Ferrari Owners.
    Enjoy you earned it!
    George P.

9. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Good work!! That first drive is going to be great.

10. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Good job!!

I give myself a pat on the back after just replacing the spark plus and oil, so I can't imagine how nice a feeling you must of had. It's been fun to follow this process. Thanks.

John W.

11. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Jeff
    How did it sound with no exhaust? Was it to loud? I'm thinking of removing my muffler and running just cats.

Lou.