355 3ngine noise | FerrariChat

355 3ngine noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 355f, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    On starting my 99 355 from cold only there is a sort of rhythmic shh shh shh sound that last for about maybe 4minutes then you never hear it again. Belts were done 2 years 6K ago.

I do not the the problem at all once warm.

Appreciate its difficult for the experts here as it could be many things! really not bothered providing its not a tensioner bearing going bad,

Can anyone reassure me!!!

regards
    s

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I've got the same noise on my Mondial. I've been told it's the alternator belt rubbing and not to worry about it, if it goes away in a few minutes. Only does it in cold weather.

Tom

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    is it an "airy" shh shh shh or something "spinning"?

is the noise in any way linked to the auxiliary cooling fan that comes on at startup but goes off shortly thereafter?

my 355 had a loose gate in the exhaust system. it was adjusted by my mechanic to fix it, but when cold it would vibrate and make some annoying noises (not a shh shh shh sounds though). once the exhaust system warmed up, the parts expanded enough to stop the noise. almost certainly not your problem, but just an example of stuff that goes away when warmed up.

g/l

doody.

4. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks

its not tyhe ex air pump on start up, thats a high pitched continual whine and its not the exhaust bypass valve as ive had that replaced thats just an awful rattle!

5. I have the same exact whine you're talking about. It goes aways after 3 minutes or so. I should make a sound clip of it next time.

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    SAME HERE WITH MY TR....DONT WORRY..........

7. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    I get a very Rattly sound from my 355 until it is warm. It sound like it is coming from the rear of the motor near the cam belts on the RH side ( near oil resevoir). It sound awfully like it is in the tappet cover !.

Once warm it is perfect

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    IT IS THE CAM BELTS WARMING UP................BRING BACK THE CHAIN BELTS............

9. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Could be early sign of cracked header, take it to the dealer and see what they find

10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    This is too much!

My 355 is a daily, or near daily, driver for over a year now.

Last week the EXACT same thing started happening to me. Sounds like a tappet in valve cover, but up front near the cam belts. Only on cold start and goes away...car runs fine.

My first reaction was either exhaust maniflod or tensioners....both were replaced 2K ago under warranty. I'm thinking a small crack in manifod making noise until the heat expands the metal and it seals the leak...or bad tensioner (even though it's new).

Anyway, my extended factory warrenty expires at the end of the month and I'm taking her in to Shelton to give the whole car a "once over" and look into that specific noise on start up.

I'll post their outcome. Sounds like from other posts it could be "normal" but I question why it just started recently and I know the car like the back of my hand.

Frank

11. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

12. Tal

Tal Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Tal Withington
    Just Introducing a friend to the chat site who has had 4 355's. He recognised the problem straight away as he had the same problem.

Its one of the drive belts not tight. In his cas it was the A/C belt.

Hope this helps

13. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    its the alternator under load, in cold starting conditions it has the most work to do right after start up

14. If it's a belt wouldn't you hear the noise right at startup? My car takes about 30 seconds before the noise turns itself on...

15. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Mine has exactly the same symptons as Franks car. The noise is near the front (cam belt) side of the motor. It is there from the moment you start until warmed up after a couple of minutes. It is a new noise and I will try and see if it coming from the alternator belt. I keep the battery fully trickle charged so would not expect the battery to need charging when started.

James

16. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    That noise to me sounds very much like your exhust bypass valve, try jamming a scredriver in there and see if it stops it

17. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Thanks everyone - Great input.

Car goes in Wed - Today I'll check the belts and exhaust bypass valve and see what happens.

Let's keep this thread going as there seems to be a lot of us who have experienced this.

Before buying this car I studied F-Chat Tech threads daily for 9 months and researched all the archieves. Learned about valve guides, headers, melting dash and everything else you need to watch for. But never saw any previous threads about this....interesting....

18. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Any Update on this yet ?

19. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Let me ask you something here:

If your car is a 99 then WHY would the belts have been done 2 years ago????
    Did you have the belts done? Who did the job and were the tensioners and pullies exchanged as well or just the belt replaced?

Ity sounds like a typical belt problem, now you have to find out which one it is to be safe but it sound slike a lose belt flapping there against housings. If it is the timing belt you are potentially in deep trouble.

Have that checked soon!

20. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    If you are getting a tappety noise when cold coming from the front/ side of the engine I would take a stab at a failing Exhaust manifold, sounds like a failing tappet initially and often gets quietier when warm as trhe metal expands and closes the gap

Very common problem on the 355!

Oops! just read that's what Dr Mike suggested!