Jackie Stewart on Speed TV | FerrariChat

Jackie Stewart on Speed TV

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gilles27, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Did anyone watch "Jackie Stewart, The Flying Scot"? I don't know if it's been on before, but it can't be real old since it acknowledges the passing of Ken Tyrrell. Like an idiot, I stayed up from midnight to 2 am on Sunday night to watch it (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. That's what a VCR/TiVo is for), but it's pretty well done. Lots of great old footage and interviews. He's really a hell of a guy.

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I watched the last 1/2 last night... stayed up too. Amazing man, and an amazing life. I caught it right when they were going over The Glen in '73 and the deather of Cevert. Sad.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Very sad. Even my wife was getting into the program, and when they showed Cevert again during the credits, she remarked about it being sad. I wonder if SpeedTV is ever going to start packaging their shows for sale?

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I missed it but would have liked to hear his thoughts on cevert.I'm sure it will be played again though.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It's on again this Saturday night (12/13) at 9 pm Eastern.

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi all this was on in the uk last year,meet him last year at a race meeting at silverstone,then he got into (js 1) his car and drove off,
    gilles i agree brill grand prix years and the uk gave the world mike costin and keith duckworth (cosworth)now weve won the rugby and cant build a grand prix engine anymore,the italians and germans do it now,
    Dale.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I take it you guys know about the 1973 F1 review "The Quick and the Dead" (sounds like a spaghetti western)? Lots about Jackie and Cevert in that one.

Jack, I got it in case you're interested.

8. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Great documentary. A truly fascinating man. I really enjoyed seeing the vintage racing footage.

9. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    Gilles:

You can buy some of the stuff we see on SPEED at www.VictorybyDesign.com. These are actually extedned versions of what we see on SPEED.

The Jackie Stewart show was nothing short of phenomenal. In particular the out takes of Graham Hill speaking with Jackie after an accident and introducing Jackie at the BRDC banquet.

Mark Pfeffer

10. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Jackie Stewart made a speech at the USGP after his lap in the new Ford GT (which we got to see in person at dinner that night). In part of his speech, he asked MS to retire because it would be better for him to retire at the top. Saw the headline of this thread and it reminded me of this.

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I was at the Glen the day Cevert died. It was truly a sad day. He was a great driver and a great personality. I was also at Mosport for the Canadian GP that year, so at least I saw Stewart in his last race.

12. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    I was right in the middle of it when my girlfriend came back from D.C.
    I felt so bad, she was so excited about teling me about her trip, but she could see I was enthralled with the program.
    It was not time at all until she was glued to the tv as well.

What a great show. I would definitely buy that if it came out on DVD.
    Jackie certainly come across as a genuine, nice guy. I liked it when he was talking about those days, that time, about how it was a great time to be in that scene in those circles.