Riding leathers | FerrariChat

Riding leathers

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 348 Turbo, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    When I was younger, (and dumber), I used to ride my sportbikes in a heavy leather jacket. Now, I would like to take advantage of the better protection offered. I wondered, for you sportbike riders out there, what are the best leathers to buy for protection? I'd like armor available too. Two pieces.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jeff

2. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Jeff, there has been nice advancement in textiles for protection. They are light and breathable which is nice in the hot weather. Joe Rocket makes some nice stuff. Full leather suits are still the safest and best to be protected on a sportbike. Give Nick a call at Motorcycle Rider's Inc he is a great guy and really hooked me up. He is offering specials on Alpinestars leathers.

Nick 1 818 789 0833
    www.ridersinc.com

Enjoy the R1, I just got my 600rr.

Thad

3. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    My stuff is almost all Dianese; boots are Sidi. Buy the best you can afford. I have seen quite a few guys ruin their hands after their gloves shreaded on them, so don't skimp on these. Some of my friends really like the Taichi leathers, although I've never tried them so I cannot comment.

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a nice Joe Rocket leather jacket (red/white/black) that I haven't had time to put on ebay yet. I used it one season when I had my F4i. It has shoulder and elbow armor (kevlar) with a zip-out quilted lining for those colder days. Very comfy and sporty. PM me if you are interested.

Either way, I don't think you can go grong with Joe Rocket. I saw a guy dump a Hayabusa in front of me, land on his back and slide down the road a few yards (we were hauling A). I thought he broke his back or something. He was wearing a Rocket NYLON ballistic jacket and to our amazement, not only was he unhurt, but the back of the jacket wasn't even scuffed or torn. Amazing material.

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks for the advice guys. Interesting to hear Joe Rocket products praised here. They aren't popular on my sportbike forum, sportbikes.net. I'll keep them in mind, and let you know what I get.
    Jeff

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I have a variety of cyclingwear, including Joe Rocket pants and jacket (very breathable for hot summer weather), BMW jacket (weatherproof, and lighter than leather, but bulkier than the Joe Rocket stuff) and Dainese armored leather pants and jacket. I feel safest in the latter. I have Daytona boots, but the Sidi seems to be more popular among the sportsbikers i see in NY/NJ/Conn. area. I have also seen quite a few people sporting those stand-alone spine protectors.

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

There are several manufacturers of good leathers. I'd make sure that you have the following in the leathers: Shoulder, Elbow, Knee, shin, and back armor. Get the hard plastic armor, not just extra padding.

Art

8. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Note about gloves: look at the seams too. I learned that it makes no difference how beefy the leather looks if the seam comes apart as you're sliding along the road. Took a bit of road rash between index finger and thumb. My other gear was by Alpinestars - jacket made with that tough nylon stuff with the shoulder, elbow, and back pads and a goretex lining that really was waterproof. Even came with a zipout lightweight fleece liner that was stylish enough to wear on its own. Pants to match with hip and knee pads, and also a removable liner for warmer weather. Went down twice and both times the gear and my body came through it much better than the Ducati did!

9. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    About the Joe Rocket stuff: I see guys on the street wearing it but not so much at the track. Just my $.02; I've never used it.

And once again.... spend as much as you can afford - this is serious stuff. You want leathers that: 1) are comfortable. 2) Won't deteriorate from sweat/salt. 3) Can handle repeated crashes.

May be a good idea to attend some local events and see what the expert guys with the most beat up leathers are wearing.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I like Dainese and Alpinestars the most, however, the best quality leather is by Vanson. It's not sexy or hip, but the raw materials are better and the contruction is top notch. And Vanson makes custom leathers too.

11. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Vanson. Make sure all the sliders on the boots and leathers are replaceable. Seems like not all the boots have 'em.

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

For boots I like Vendramini. Made in a small shop but killer construction and superb materials. Alpinestars, Dainese, and Sidi are good mass market manufacturers of boots. Gloves are important. Go for something with a pinkie protector.

13. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I had vanson leathers, and a vanson jacket for around town. The time that I went down HARD, was in the city, and the vanson jacket took all the abuse, as did the vanson gloves -- i still have the jacket today. Everything else, while more fashionable, doesn't have the weight of any of the vanson gear.

14. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    what a coincedence. I just took a break from the Vanson site to check on the thread! Their stuff looks good quality. I'll keep all options open at this time and let you guys know what I decide on. I pick up the new bike the end of the week. Can't concentrate, sleep or wait!

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

If you end up wanting to buy Vanson stuff, PM me. I "know someone," if you know what I mean.

16. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Vanson Leather is my choice.

Besides armor...look to the thickness of the leather.

There are also perferated leather options for summer, with liners for winter.

If you just street ride, two peice leather suits are great.

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

A while back, John Ulrich (a client) did tests of leathers and gloves (not with people in them). I'd check Roadracingworld.com to see if those tests are on line (this may have been done before they got the web site). If not, call John, 909-245-6412 and see if they have the prior issues with the test.

Art

18. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Vanson leathers are great.
    Alpinestars for boots...

I think it should all be based on how YOU fit in the leather - even though it will stretch, not everyone is built the same way, and not ever brand will fit you... it's like shoes.

I'll second Art's advice... although I never laid my bike down (I was lucky) I made sure I always had kevlar lined gloves and leathers. The body armor stuff is stiff and may not be suitable for long rides, but in the end, safety is key.

KEVLAR!! ;)

Good luck.

19. RD3

RD3 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    PA
    Another vote for Vanson. Excellent quality and attention to detail. My jacket has removable soft armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back. You can usually find some good deals on Ebay if you know your size. Vanson jackets tend to run a size small (they are very snug). So if you are a 40 get a 42, etc, especially if you plan to use the armor with it.