365GT2+2 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

365GT2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by superbimmer, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #51 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #52 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
  3. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #53 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
  4. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #54 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
  5. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #55 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
  6. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #56 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
  7. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    #57 grantj, Dec 8, 2003
  8. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, Grant. Was your car originally blue? When repainted, was all body trim removed, so that the area behind the 3/4 vents could have been repainted incorrectly.

Bill365 ... is your car origianlly red?? I'd be interested to know if any 365GT2+2 was shipped from the factory red. I know mine wasn't ... it was a light blue.

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    superbimmer wrote "Bill365 ... is your car origianlly red?? I'd be interested to know if any 365GT2+2 was shipped from the factory red. I know mine wasn't ... it was a light blue."

My friend recently had his car repainted, he went with the light silver blue metallic, can't remeber the correct name for it. It looks great!

No my car was not originally red, it was gold with a near pumpkin shade leather interior. In fact I was specifically looking for a non-red car when I came across this one and bought it.

This refinish, I believe was carried out very early in it's life, possibly while it was still in Germany, because it is obviously quite old. The shade of mine is a darker than corsa (rubino?) and any time the subject of refinishing comes up, there is a unanimous opinion among my friends that it should remain red. I also think it wears red well, however I tend to vascillate on the question (originality or ?).

10. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    P.S. - I was intending to mention it, but I did forget......

Grant and all else,
    If anyone needs interior door handles for their 330 or 365 2+2's, I do have gorgeous new repops cnc machined from billet steel and triple chrome plated available.

Bill

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    here's a scan, they do look better in person.

12. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
  13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    a few items:

I swear this is the last time I will opine re: the taillight surrounds. Pages 4, 27 and 91 of the Operating, Maintenance and Service Manual for the 365GT2+2 show a matte and polish combo finish. The surround does not have to be re-chromed to achieve the all-chrome finish; the chrome is already beneath the sprayed-on matte finish. Ten minutes w/ chrome polish, and I could have all-chrome surrounds. Could Ferrari have supplied both? Sure. FWIW, my car (11199) and a friend's car in AZ (11727) have the combo finish.

Next - for those of you w/ european spec cars. What have you done for the rear license plate? If you haven't filled in the 4 holes in the sheet metal for the big, square european license plate surround, how have you accomodated it for your american-proportioned plate? The p.o. of my car provided a polished plate of stainless steel about 1/8" thick w/ slightly radiused edges and corners. The fasteners to the car are 4 stainless acorns. It looks pretty tidy, esp w/ the black Virginia antique license plate on it leaving a rectangular area of stainless steel showing above and below the license plate. I've attached a picture below.

Does anyone have a cracked turn signal stalk at its base (at the steering column) so that the stalk is floppy in the fore and aft direction? This seems to be a somewhat common malady. There was a guy on Tom's site a couple of years ago that was looking into doing a production run of these stalks whereby the injection mold would include the little collar at the base which is the piece that tends to crack. I haven't gone back to do a search, but I will if there is some interest.

Has anyone kept their manual chokes on their Webers? Mine are off and I think I have a better running carb because of it. I've never had a problem w/ a cold start.

My car was originally rosso rubino w/ tan. I've seen one other queen in rubino - stunning. I for one, do not have a problem w/ taking a 1960s production Ferrari from its original color as long as its new color was also an original color. I don't think judges have a problem, either.

14. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Bryan,

"Next - for those of you w/ european spec cars. What have you done for the rear license plate? "

Mine has a small bracket that only uses the top holes of the US plate. (the way I got it).

"Has anyone kept their manual chokes on their Webers?"

I did remove mine, they were not needed even in the dead of Chicago winter for an occasional start, pump the pedal a few times and she fires right up. So, I couldn't justify having them in the way of the airflow.

"I for one, do not have a problem w/ taking a 1960s production Ferrari from its original color as long as its new color was also an original color."

I do agree, but a lot of cars with some nice colors have mysteriously turned red, mine included.

15. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Bryan,
    What is sitting in the drive next to your beautiful 365?

16. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Nevermind, I saw it in your profile...T/C

17. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Is anyone in touch with s/n 13861's current owner? I'd be interested to see any photos, too. In Grant's old post above he references Blu Chiaro, but this car was originally Blue Ribot.

-Ed

18. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    #68 jippiejake, Oct 12, 2016