Knock-Off Tool & Battery Clamp | FerrariChat

Knock-Off Tool & Battery Clamp

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WillS, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I have a tool that removes and installs three eared KOs using a 1/2" extension bar and torque wrench (see picture). This one isn't really that great because it doesn't have any plastic pads on the socket where the socket grabs the KO. It leaves tiny dents in the KO. Does anyone know of a similar socket that has pads on it?

Also, I'm missing the rectangular bracket that sits on top of the battery and clamps it in the engine bay ('67 330 GTC) with two threaded rods. Seems like a pretty common item, any ideas where to get one?

Thanks,
    Will

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would like to have a tool like that as well. I have no idea where to purchase one. I bought a "Thor" leather/copper hammer, and dread the first time I have to use it.

On the battery clamp:

Fred Petroske
    mostlybritish.com

Dennis McCann
    allferrariparts.com

I've bought used Ferrari parts from Fred and new, used, and repro from Dennis. Both good to deal with and would probably have what you need.

Tom Shaughnessy is a big used Ferrari parts dealer but I've never bought anything from him.

3. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    The knockoff sockets are available from Mike Kumor seaport mold & casting http://www.seaportmold.com I have 3 of them and highly recommend them. You can also use a 3/4" torque wrench with them to set the actual correct torque on the spinners.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Will
    My crew designed and built a KO tool that has an Deldrin head and hand powered hammer wrench that mimics a hammer. It fits all my cars. I'll get a pic and post.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

Are the knockoff sockets stock items with them or do you have to provide production drawings and specs?

6. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    Mike seems to make them in batches. I don't know if he keeps any in stock. But he has the pattern. If you tell him you want a 3-ear ferrari spinner socket, he will know what you need. Occasionally, he will list them on ebay. Here is a pic of one. It has a rubber coating on it to protect the chrome on the spinners.

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks dr.mike. I will contact him.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    PM once you contact the guy. I need one, too, so please inquire about a group purchase.
    Luke, using the lead hammer...

9. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    Gents,

If there is to be a bulk order from Mike Kumor, I'll take two. One for me, and one for my mechanic who, bless his soul, managed to chip my newly painted wheel with my copper mallet!! But, only because I had not tightened the KO enough to prevent stripping the spline!!

Grantj

Ps to suit 365 GT 2+2 KO's

10. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will contact Mike Kumor and post my findings here. After that , everyone is on their own.

11. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'm interested in getting one too, if anyone is doing a "group" purchase.
    Please let me know.

[email protected]

Gary

12. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Spook64,
    Thanks for the info, I'll give them a go.
    WillS

13. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    dr.mike,
    I haven't received a reply from Mike Kumor yet, I'll keep trying. Posting your picture of the socket was a help, as now I'll try finding some kind of liquid rubber or plastic to coat mine.

Thanks for the input.
    WillS

14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

15. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Bryan,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have some of that stuff here and will try it out. I tried some liquid vinyl electrical coating but the socket cut right through that. Not very optimistic about the Eastwood stuff. Lotta torque on a small edge.

16. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Count me in on the group purchase of the knock-off tool. Please post your findings once you communicate with Mike Kumor.

Thanks.

Jim S.

17. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I got ahold of Mike Kumor (real nice person--512 & I think a 328) at Seaportmold.com today. He has the KO socket for sale at $125 each. He has a few left in stock and will make another batch if necessary. His description is as follows: made of bronze with a hard PVC coating that will stand up to any torque, will accomodate a 32 or 42 three eared KO, 3/4" drive used. Send him a check for $125 (made out to Mike Kumor) and send it to:

Mike Kumor
    1215 West Bancroft St.
    Toledo
    Ohio 43606

He'll get it out to you after the check clears. Thanks again dr.mike for the tip.

18. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Has anyone verified this source? I want to send a check, but not to a black hole.

Thanks.

Jim

19. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Count me in.

20. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Mike Kumor at Seaportmold can be reached at Tel# 419.243.1422. I have purchased one from him.

21. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Will - Thanks for the feedback.

Jim S.

22. mac5777

mac5777 Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    I have restored a 1967 lotus elan coupe and had problems with damaged wheels and spinners. Nothing seem to protect them, So I developed one for myself and others wanted it. SO!!
    This socket is the results of the corrections I've done to make a tool that does not damage my panasport wheels or my costly new spinners. It also will protect wire, or powder coated wheels from the hammer. When using a hammer there is no way to know how much torque you have applied +-. Don't under torque you wheels!
    I am working on a torque wrench that works in both directions (important for left and right hand spinners) and ratchets. I may be able to offer it, at a very good price as an option.
    Anyone that wants to maintain your favorite car and protect an investment from chips and dings will enjoy this tool. You will only have to buy one, good for a life time.
    I made two 3 eared spinner sizes and I am trying to ID the other cars that they may fit. It fits the larger Cobra knockoffs size and may fit others of that size. I hope this will work with at least some of your cars.
    I have already tried to dip the edges into hard rubber and plastic coatings and found out that they can not withstand the torque and cuts through to metal on metal again.

I only made a limited number for now.
    Other cars may use the same size spinner as the lotus but I have not looked into that yet.

ENTER THE SITE http://homepage.mac.com/sarto1/PhotoAlbum6.html

Click the pictures to enlarge or use the slide show. The pictures show the other socket that I purchased that scratch and the wheels.

CONTACT ME AT; [email protected]

23. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Wow, nice tool! I've got the Seaport Mold tool, and it works pretty good as well.

I have to say, that based on my experiences, sometimes a hammer is the only way to get the knockoff off. The knockoffs can be on so tight that if you use a socket on it, you only end up spinning the wheels around. I've even tried using an impact wrench, but it wasn't powerful enough. Anyone have any suggestions to this problem, w/o the addition of a helper stepping on the brakes?

24. mac5777

mac5777 Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    Yes, my mechanic said that he broke a breaker bar extension trying too remove a spinner. That can not be good for the wheels. With a hammer you never know if you are to tight or worst yet to loose. I used my mechanics torque wrench and got the feel for what my wheels required (160 to 180 ft/lbs of torque) I found a torque wrench that I may be able to offer with my spinner socket, that will torque up to 240 ft/lbs.
    Can anyone post a picture of that seaport mold, I was not able to see the item on the seaport site.
    Look at my knockoff socket wrench on this site.

ENTER THE SITE http://homepage.mac.com/sarto1/PhotoAlbum6.html

Click the pictures to enlarge or use the slide show. The pictures show the other socket that I purchased that scratch and the wheels.

CONTACT ME AT; [email protected]

25. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Not a black hole, send the money.