rebuiding 355 exhaust manifolds | FerrariChat

rebuiding 355 exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dr Mike, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Has anyone had any dealings with Ferrari Spares or QV London in reguards to rebuilding the 355 manifolds? Mine cracked and the dealer wanted 4K to R&R with stock Ansa manifolds.

2. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Dont waste money with ansa manifolds!

they neverelast, I replaced mine with tubi but have heard many good comments on QV london.

QV strip off the heat shields and then rebuild using better quality ss then put he shields back, so they look standard

3. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    I have the same problem and Ferrari NA takes the position -tough luck. This is the third one that has gone bad on my car.I have been conversing with QV and they charge about $850 shipped with a deposit to return your old manifold. Tubi exhaust manifolds are somewhere in the $4500 range for a pair.
    Are both of yours bad or just one and if so which? There seems to be more failure on the passenger side. I am also getting a quote from an exhaust fabricator to see what a pair would cost.

4. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I plan to purchase a 355 in the next year or so, and this exhaust manifold issue really steams me with FNA. Here is clearly, a problem with the design and materials used to make these manifolds. What makes it most frustrating, is the lack of uniform application of "warranty coverage" for the problem. Some get them replaced no problem, others are refused. There can be no way that the owner can be faulted, why doesn't FNA step up and handle these?

Fazzaz1, have you been dealing with FNA directly or through your dealer?

Some have spoken of a 5 year and others a 7 year Federally mandated emissions warranty...you might check into that.

Of course they are only going to put another oem manifold on that will fail in another couple years...

6. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Both were cracked, but only the passenger side made noise. Is that $850 per side including shipping. My wife took a message from QV today and they said 920 pounds including shipping, but don't know if thats for one or both.
    Thanks for your help
    Dr Mike

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I `ave delt with QW London. I have(nothing but gooe things to say about those guys. Mike has helped me out quite a bit with technikal advice on my!348. Mike has bden working on Ferrari's since the 70's, and reamly know his stuff. Great bunch of guys over there, friendly and(very helpful. I!highly recomend them.

8. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Yep,I concur with Ernie.Over here they are highly respected with a superb reputation,their servicing prices are'nt over the top either!

9. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    I am now dealing with FNA and they are nice but pass the buck which is now passed to the factory. The federal statute only requires a 2 year ,24,000 mile warranty except for three parts which are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. The problem really is that the replacement parts will consistently fail. I plan to pursue this because it is a disgrace for three of the same parts to fail in 34,00 miles.
    I have also learned that this is a common 355 problem and I think it is time for someone to take Ferrari on sbout this.
    The qv manifolds are L495 each, shipped.

10. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    The price for 2 is L920 shipped. I'm sending mine tomorrow!
    Thanks,
    Dr Mike, BS (body sculpter)

11. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    How do you reach Mike, all I get is a fast busy signal.
    TIA Mike

12. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    finally got thru had to drop the 0 between the 44 country code and the number

13. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dr Mike

I have the QV rebuilt manifolds on my '96 355, been on there for a couple of years now. I've been to the works where they are rebuilt and they do do a fantastic job.

I've known Mike and Phil for 7 years now and they really do a good job on everything I've asked of them, only thing sometimes is getting hold of them as they are so busy, it's often best to e-mail them rather than call.

14. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Can someone post a phone number or web for QV ?

15. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
  16. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Thank you Mark....

17. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
  18. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dr Mike

Postal Code is

SL5 9ED

regards

19. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    Ferrari did give me a new exhaust manifold-nothing for installation. I am now torn between putting it on and wondering if it too will fail or going ahead with a qv rebuilt one. what experiences have other 355 owners had with the rebuilt qv manifold? thanks.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Unless FNA can verify that this new manifold is "revised or upgraded" and explain what was changed, I'd be inclined to go the "QV" route and "Ebay" the new replacement.... IMHO. This is assuming you intend to keep the car for a few more years.

My understanding from talking to others, is that the manifolds are unchanged...the problem (so I am told) is that where the first bend occurs off the head, the outside metal is stretched too thin, and cracks. The solution is to make them with thicker gauge steel, so that during the bending process (mandrel?) the outside bend doesn't get so thin. I believe that QV's fix is to use thicker tubing.

21. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    I just ordered my manifolds from QV and am expecting them to arrive in a couple of days or so. I will let you know how it turns out after I install them. I own an independ used car dealership and have the hoist and all tools required to do the job. Although I have never worked on a Ferrari I have worked on many other makes and models and therefore feel I can compete the job successfully. Once I complete the manifolds I will concider removing the engine and replacing the belts.

22. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    actually these are very easy to change. The one thats a bit difficult is the side nearest to the oil tank, many dealers I spoke to said that the tank had to be removed, in fact this is not the case.

Loosen the engine mounts at ythe base of the engine, the slightly jack up the engine and you can replace without taking out the tank, just ythe cooling fan

23. ART360

ART360 Guest

I've got the QV manifolds. They fit, they work, you wouldn't know they were rebuilt, and the materials are better quality. The price has apparently gone up, since I think that I paid about $1100 for both manifolds. They are good guys, do what they say they will, and on time.

Art

24. ART360

ART360 Guest

355fly:

Remove the engine, do the service, then replace the manifolds, put the motor back in the chassis. Otherwise, good luck on the manifolds, hope you've got insurance for knucles, fingers, etc.

Art

25. antroc

antroc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Randazzo
    I just put Tubi headers on my 97 f355 spider. It wasnt that difficult. Had to remove the oil cooler to get the left side header out. Some of the bolts were a little difficult to get to, but having a shop I had many different style wrenches to fit. It takes about a day to do.