348 clock resets itself after I turn the car off? | FerrariChat

348 clock resets itself after I turn the car off?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Hi, I noticed that everytime I turn my car off even just for 5 mins. the digital clock will reset itself. It this a memory problem or (not sure what kind of memory is in there) a clock issue. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Not sure, but it may be that your clock is not really set to "clock" mode, it may be set to "timer" mode. Refer to page H7 in the Owners Handbook for instructions on setting the clock. Obviously, it should not reset to Zero when the engine is shut off if it's in "clock" mode.

3. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I had a similar problem with my 348. It turned out to be a loose (stand-by) wire from the clock to the 12V supply. Just like a new style radio there are 2 power sources that run the unit, one that keeps the power on all the time to the units memory so the radio (clock, radio stations ) stays set, and one power source that actually turns the unit on, controlled by the power switch or ignition switch as with your clock.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks for the info. I will check both. Hopefully I will get it to work. Thanks Again.

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I think it's possible that the info I gave you was BS, I was thinking of one of my other cars. Is your clock returning to 00:00 when you shut the car off? Does your radio preset erase itself also? Are you talking about the factory in-dash clock or a clock in your radio?

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I am talking about the clock on the climate control display. The one that has a green display. Not the stereo one. I can set it and then turn the car off and it is back to 00:00 blinking. Thanks.

7. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Does this happen everytime you switch off or only occasionally as mine does the same but not every time, mind you my unit is suffering from the usual 348 heater unit gremlin!!!

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    That climate control ECU is scary! On my 348, the climate control works fine, and the clock works fine, except that when you turn on the headlights, the clock display goes out. When you turn the lights off, the clock comes back on, still displaying the correct time. I have no idea how to fix that one. I took the ECU apart once and had a look inside. Way too complicated for me!

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes my clock goes back to 00:00 everytime I turn the key off. Knock on wood all of my heating/ a/c components work. I looked back there and saw the box. It does look very complicated. I bet replacements aren't cheap. I will keep you guys posted. I am going to check the positive wire it should have all of the time. Thanks.

10. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have a similar experience with my Mondial, i can set the clock and it seems fine until I switch on something else, lights, wipers etc, then it resets itself to OO:OO.
    I have checked the wires to the clock and they seem OK so I think it's something nearer the fuse box and the power surge is killing the connection. However checks so far have drawn a blank.
    Look forward to other suggestions as it drives ne nuts

11. dan_west348ts

dan_west348ts Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Hollister, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan West
    #11 dan_west348ts, Dec 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a simular situation with my 348. I was also having the dreaded check engine light for bank 1/4. It turned out to be a poor ground due to the battery disconnect not making proper contact.

Many Ferrari techs tried for over a year to troubleshoot this issue without success. Finally, Mark Spencer in Campbell, CA fixed the problem. It took him 15 minutes and he did not charge me a dime. Try taking the battery disconnect apart and clean it. Make sure you put it back together tight.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Lotus49c

Lotus49c Rookie

Jul 22, 2013
    Stratford on Avon UK
    Full Name:
    Colin Taylor
    Hello, I have the same problem with my 348 clock....there is problem description and solution on My 348 referring to 348: Did the heater (connectors) trick. Look what I found !!? - FerrariChat.com it refers to 2 soldered dry joints and suggests applying Stabilant to all plug connectors but it doesn't say where to find the circuit board. So please can someone tell me and if its behind heater control buttons and clock, what's the best way to get access to it. Thanks for any advise.....

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've learned to give up on the clock.

14. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Have you checked your "hidden fuse" next to the 2 green relays in the frunk is not melted etc?

If that connection is faulty it will reset the clock