Do other drivers ride your a$$ in your fcar? | FerrariChat

Do other drivers ride your a$$ in your fcar?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by RacerX_GTO, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Situation:

Your out in about in your fcar, you glance in your rear view mirror and see some ****** ridding your tail too close for comfort.

You are at a stop light waiting for the light to turn green. Looking in the rear view mirror past the engine deck you see the driver behind you inch their car closer to your rear than aircraft carrier parking in hangar deck.

Does this happen more often than not? Californian fcar owners, yes, we are a ruder than the rest of the union, but does this irk you as well?

What is it with these people? Do they not realize our of courtesy to keep a safe distance or show any respect to your fine exotic?

Any thoughts? comments? hate mail?

- Gabe V.

2. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Gabe, are you implying that the other drivers are impatient, or that they are moving in for a closer look?

3. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Good point Greg, let me clarify by answering yes, other drivers are impatient or have a problem in their driving that intrudes on the comfort zone.

Drivers trying to catch a better look of the car often hold a pattern while driving next the the vehicle or wave in acknowledgement giving the "thumbs up". But they never seem to move dangerously close that if you were to hit the brakes a collision were to occur.

- Gabe V.

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I've noticed much closer following distances and down right tailgating in San Diego than in LA. Its no fluke. Several times I've had to hold up my hand palm up with a look on my face in the rear view mirror and lift in order to get them to back off to a somewhat safe distance. They will follow so close you can't see their headlights.

Normally, all it takes is one late brake or a minute or two to get frustrated with an accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast driving style in traffic in a lower gear before they give me some room.

The one thing I will say about SD drivers is there is a noticible drop in the number of people that dive bomb into my lane when they see me coming. The other is the average speed goes up and my gas mileage has gone up compared to LA because the slow ones are doing 70, trucks included and the #1 lane is the 85-90 lane.

Drivers still have a horrible tendency to pack the #1 and #2 lanes. I'm purposefully going 3-5mph faster than traffic at all times so this is rarely a problem as is attention from the authorities. Creeping ahead of the traffic 'packs' is the only way to not be cut off or ignored besides not driving on a populated highway or road. I've seen far more dangerous situations with traffic packed in behind 2 or 3 cars half a dozen cars deep, from minor fender benders to major 180 or 360 spins due to frustrated drivers lane changing back and forth. If the #4 or #5 lane is clear, I'll go 5mph over or hang back until there's an open lane straight through. I don't believe in 'follow the leader.' It promotes bad driving habits, like when tonight, one lane merges into three right at a traffic light where they followed me until they realized they didn't have to turn.

I've had a ticket once doing this going 2mph faster than traffic, when they slowed down and I was left going 6mph faster than traffic. We were all speeding down to the last car up to 15mph over for the drivers at the head of the pack. I paid my dues and saved traffic school for another day :)

Sunny

5. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I know the topic said F-car but it is the same in a P-car. Right on my ass at all times. What is the deal? Do they not understand that with rear engine and mid-engine cars that when they rear end you they will be paying for more than just a bumper cover?

I get challenged by Ricers all the time as well. These guys need to lay off the 2 Fast, 2 Furious DVD. I just chuckle and let them destroy their cars as they drop the clutch on their '89 Accord at 6000 RPM and I pull away casually from the light.

When I drive my wifes Discovery, no problem. Jump in the, 911 and it is like flys on s**t.

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Happens all the time when I am in NYC. all these a**holes ride my tail like flies to sh*t. they are just annoying. if they want a closer look, they would be driving side by side to me instead.

7. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    yes, and it's also amazing how everyone becomes michael fockin schumacher when you're in an fcar or pcar. i blaze by people in the jeep just doing 75-80 on the freeway but all the sudden when they see a fcar coming up, everyone drives 95. i also notice people like to stand on it off every red light too.

oh well, could have worse problems, right? :)

8. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    On the open road and another car is riding your ass? Use the skinny pedal on the right.

If you're in traffic, just realize that people are not going to give you any more space than others and that it's up to you to leave your car at home if you're worried about it getting damaged.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey RacerX, were in Cali are you located?

10. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I thought I was the only one who noticed this. People tailgate me for a closer look all the time in the F-car. Never in the Benz or Expy.

11. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Hey Ernie, I'm located where the "Terminator" works. :D
    In a small suburb called Fair Oaks.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Take the carefully positioned 1/2 litre of soda* in a cup, remove the plastic lid, roll down the window and eject out the window with a flick of the wrist towards the back. Hits them in the windshiled every time.

*latex paint if you are feeling lucky......