650 miles in the Daytona | FerrariChat

650 miles in the Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Tspringer, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I drove my Daytona 679 miles from north of Atlanta to Cape Coral FL this past saturday. The trip took 7 hours and 34 minutes requiring a single fuel stop.

The perfect car for a road trip like this! The Daytona cruises easy as pie at 90 - 100mph. The traffic was pretty light, weather perfect and Troopers too lazy to use instant on. Valentine One only saved me 2 times. GPS showed top speed attained during the trip as 113mph.... so I really didnt get crazy, just a nice steady cruise.

Cant wait to bring it back in a few weeks!

Terry

2. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    What a great trip, sounds like the car ran great. Do you have any photos from your trip? Is your car a coup or a Spyder? How does it drive in traffic?

3. pentastar

pentastar Rookie

Jul 19, 2003
    Westchester County,
    Full Name:
    Michael G. Stanton
    You are one lucky guy Terry...

No better car to cruise the interstates of the USA in !

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What was the speed the speedo read at the time the GPS said 113? It would be interesting to know how off the speedo is.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    This story reminds me of the first issue of "CAR" Magazine my dad bought for me back in the late 70's when I fell in love with the Daytona. It was called Daytona the car that time forgot and it was Nick Mason's car that was in the issue and I still have that issue today. Wow sounds like a great trip.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Brilliant car to do it in. Did the noise get to you overall or was it subdued enough to keep your ears in shape?

--Dan

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    first year I bought my 512TR I drove from Miami to CT, aroud 1,200 miles, the dealer couldnt believe it . He said " I wish I had more customers like you " :) I also did the FORZA Mille that year, another 1,000 miles & had a great time getting used to my car

8. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Terry,

Did you feel the car ran better after such a long trip

Rijk

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Caddyman... My car is a 1969 Coupe, Red/black #12775. The 51st Daytona built. I didnt shoot any photos, but you can see some of the car that Mitch DeFrancis shot here:

http://www.f1freaks.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=36

Timn88.. My car is a Euro model so the speedo is in Kph. It read around 185-190 or so as a maximum during the trip. The fastest I have driven the car was about 240kph at which point it was pulling very hard. There really isnt any point in that though, if you get caught its a huge hassle and car is very happy cruising at 100. At that speed you have no issues getting slowed down quickly.

The noise was no issue. My car is actually pretty quiet, too much so for my taste. One of my winter projects will be to replace the center mufflers and resonators with straight pipes to the rear resonators. Im also installing velocity stacks and fabricating a factory style cold air box.
    It needs to be louder at high revs!

Rijk... The car didnt run any different at the end that I could tell. Smooth and consistent the whole way. Didnt use any oil at all either.

Terry

10. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Terry: Is that your driveway in Mitch' pictures? If so, do you have any difficulty getting up and down in your Ferrari's and Porsches? I now have a similar mountain to climb, and even the minivan scrapes if you don't watch it.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's what these cars are for!

12. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thank you for the photo link, what a great car!

13. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Its my driveway.... but its really not all that steep. Never had any scraping issues, and the 308 sits very low.

14. David Danhof

David Danhof Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    David Danhof
    Need a co-pilot for the return trip?? Heading to Orlando on January 1 for the Capital One Bowl, UGA / Purdue.

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Hey David! Nice to see you posting here. Im not sure when it will be ready to return, but your certainly welcome to come down and co-pilot it back. You'll get some seat time to boot....

Ill let you know when Im heading down.

Terry

16. David Danhof

David Danhof Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    David Danhof
    #16 David Danhof, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Terry,

That's fabulous. You're a one-man Cannonball run.!!

Senna - I remember the 'Car' Daytona article too.

It was called 'The Car That Time Can't Tame'. How true.

John