Would like some advice on Boston | FerrariChat

Would like some advice on Boston

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Sarc, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Hey all,

Christmas is fast approaching, and I'm coming up with ideas on what to get my sweet for xmas. She did extremely well last year (not an F-car, but a sweet guitar!), so I guess you could say I need to get a little creative this year!

So, one of the ideas I have is to plan a trip to her favorite city in the world- Boston. I would like to coordinate a concert/event with a nice, relaxing stay sometime in January/February.
    Usually we stay at the Nine Zero on Tremont (love that place), but I was thinking if I could get a B+B in Beacon Hill, it'd be a great time!
    So far in searching the internet, I keep coming across the same one (a place that got a nasty review in the Fordor's site).

Surely there are more B+B's in Beacon Hill, yes??

Anybody from Boston care to chime in??

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    MR DOODY IS THE MAN FOR THIS ONE.............................

3. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Relaxing stay in Jan/Feb??? Why not push it off to the Spring? My wife works in Boston and either she or I will travel for the weekend. As a rule, pretty much every trip from Nov-Mar is down to Houston. Boston is a wonderful place to visit, but to make the most of it you need decent weather. I can't enjoy it in the cold.

Back on topic, have you thought of maybe finding a B&B in another part, say Concord to give you something different, or Marblehead for a nice coastal visit?

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sarc,

A friend of mine (who owns a hotel) is on this list. He suggested it to me for a recent trip and it led me to a nice B&B in northern Cal.

Here is the Boston page. Have fun!

http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/ma.htm#Boston

DL

5. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Tigermilk,
    I would probably prefer late spring, but were going to Costa del Sol at that time, and our weekends are pretty much tied up.
    It's funny but when I think of it, I don't think I've ever gone to Boston when it's warm. We've gone for xmas, new years, etc, and the one time we did go in spring in poured rain all weekend.

You might think I'm nuts, but I kind of like walking around the commom when it's cold, with some hot cider in hand!

Darth,
    Thanks for the link. I think I'll have to investigate further.....

BWS,
    I didn't realize Mr. D was from beantown. Hopefully he'll pop in.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i really wouldn't wish boston on anybody i cared for in january or february. beacon hill is a nightmare that time of year: snow, ice, and steep hills do not mix well :)

if you're dead set on the timing, consider back bay instead. at least it's flat, and since it's mostly commercian not residential, the snow gets cleared better.

if you stay at the westin you'll have a lot of stuff accessible via covered and indoor walkways and the like. i think that complex is connected via covered walkway to the prudential complex (or damn near connected). plenty of restaurants and shops and whatnot - plus a movie theater, maybe two (?).

B&Bs are not popular downtown. yes, there are a few, but i've never heard anything at all about them (good or bad). it's a hotel town. there are some nice B&Bs outside the towt, but you don't want to deal wtih commuting into and out of boston in the dead of winter if you don't have to.

the old ritz is reopened - i haven't been in it yet. should be nice - right at the end of back bay on the common. don't bother with the new ritz across the common - nice, but overrated and crappy location.

i've heard the lenox/intercontinental is nice, but have never stayed there myself.

doody.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I spent two months there last Feb, but was solo, so stayed in an inexpensive hotel out near Burlington.

If you go, don't forget to stick your head into Ferrari of New England. In Newton, not to far from town along the Tollway. There is also F1 Boston, a race-themed bar, club, sports place on the south side of town.

8. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I was at the old Ritz last month and was not blow away. It has great character but its age is apparant. Small rooms, etc. You cannot beat the location though: with Newbury and the Common right there. I really do not know of any B&B in Boston either. Sorry, wish I could help some more.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Stop by one of my old clubs!!! Jillian's Boston!!! Right near the ball park, and very big and fun!

DrS