WaterPump Question | FerrariChat

WaterPump Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tfrancis, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I've mounted a rebuilt waterpump on my 328 with a new gasket. It seems that it's not in proper vertical alignment with the tensioner and crank. It actually is positioned closer to the engine. This can't be correct. Has anyone else seen this before? It appears to be off about the thickness of a washer. I checked the assembly break-out and I have it correct according to the parts manual. Could one of you check yours and let me know. Pictures would be great too.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Have you made sure you've scraped off every little bit of old gasket of the housing/unit that the water pump mounts to?

Is the impeller on the shaft all the way?

Is the locking tab that holds the impeller nut in place bent-up incorrectly and sticking out?

Does the pump have the original impeller in place, or a new (different) one that came with this new pump?

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hmm, am I reading correctly, ie your WP pulley is offset too close to the engine by about 1.5mm to 2mm relative to the other pulleys?

Do you still have your old WP? Also, did you just change out the nose ass'y, or the complete WP including the thermostat housing, etc?

If you changed everything, could some shim washers have gone astray?
    (Haven't looked at a FPC to see if there are any such, but it's about the only thing that comes to mind.)

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am thinking pulley too...

5. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    -- This is what I'm trying to determine. Looking at the parts manual it doesn't appear that I've left off any such washer. I was hoping someone could verify this for me. The only washer I see is the one in front of the pulley and behind the nut.

Is there some sort of spacer that goes on the shaft before the pulley?

Tom

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    So you replaced the WP nose ass'y, & re-installed your original pulley.
    That doesn't leave many places for error to creep in.

Dumb question, any chance the pulley is on backwards?
    I thought the pulley bosses were symmetrical, but it's been a couple of years since I had to deal with mine & I marked the front before I pulled it.

The following thread has a pix of Peter's WP prior to reassembly. I was rebuilding mine at the same time & As I recall, it matched my WP:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/454.html

If it's not the pulley on bkwds, then at this point your options seem to be:

- Add a shim washer behind the pulley & live with it.

- Call the rebuilder & tell him what you've run into.

If he's still got your old WP, Have him measure your old WP from the front edge of the outer bearing's inner race to the back of the nose to see how it compares to your wp.

Hmm, What if the outer bearing was recessed too far back into the housing? It would let the pully slide too far on the shaft. Take a good look at how far the front bearing is recessed in the wp's nose. As I recall, my bearing was just about flush with the housing. See if the bearing is further recessed than it should. Only way that I can think of the bearing being recessed would be if the cylindrical spacer between the 2 bearings were either too short, or else was omitted.