Rolex = BMW of watches? | FerrariChat

Rolex = BMW of watches?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ryalex, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm just starting to learn about the psychology of watches... Some serious questions for the watch guys: if you want a classy watch in the $1-4k range, is Rolex the way to go, or is it really just the middle of the road?

Would you recommend a Patek or Cartier or something else?

I know everyone in NA recognizes Rolex, but it seems that in Switzerland they weren't very popular in the high end stores.

I guess the real question is: if you're not particular about brand, and doing business in the US, what would you recommend?

2. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Patek Phillippe, but you won't find one for under $5,000.00.

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

I am a collector of fine watches. The normal "classy watch" in the $1-4K range is probably going to be a Rolex or a Cartier. But I am not a fan of these watches because EVERYONE has them. That is why they are not that popular in high end stores and they do not appreciate much in value. The only ROLEX watch that is worth buying is the Stainless steel Rolex Daytona Chronograph, if you can get one.

Otherwise, there arent many other good watches in that $1-4k price range. If you want a good watch for under $10k, the brands that I recommend are:

Panerai
    Franck Muller
    IWC
    Ullyses Nardin
    Glashutte
    A. Lange

For watches in the $15K+ range, I recommend:

Franck Muller
    IWC
    Patek Phillipe (though I dont like them because they look like old man style watches)
    F.P. Journe
    Audemars Piguet
    Roger Dubuis

4. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Rolex is a precision time keeping instrument. It's construction is sturdy for time jewelry as well. When I bought my GMT Master a few years back, the salesman explained the 'anal-ness' of how Rolex ensures perfect time. Having it on the wrist was a sure feeling that you have PERFECT time. No batteries to run out, no quartz movement to foul up or skip a beat just smooth perpetual movement.

Despite its name and reputation, I find it a trustworty timepiece.

- Gabe

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I wear a Breitling, or Festina. When I can, because I have ultra tiny wrists.

Rolex is ostentacious, everyone here in Orange County has one. Get a Movado, Omega, Breitling, or Festina. If you want to dress up the Movado and Cartier are nice, if you want attention my Breitling draws attention. Nothing is better than when someone asks me where I got the watch and I say I got it from Chuck Yeager's collection.

http://www.breitling.com
    http://www.festina.com

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

One rule of thumb that I follow, is that if you buy something, try to buy something that will appreciate in value. And if I apply this to watches,

I try not to buy watches that are offered at Costco. THose never go up in value.

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Movado...lol

What Rolex are you buying for 4k?

The Stainless Yachtmaster is also a great watch. The Anniversary Submariners are nice also. All are substantially more than 4k.

Ive got my eye on the Platinum Masterpiece, diamond dial, diamond bezel. Price 61,500

8. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

As a collector of fine watches, IMO, I would never buy a watch with diamonds on them. They are overpriced and hard to resell. If you are going to spend $61,500 on a watch, it would be a better investment if you buy a watch with a more complicated watch mechanism like a "Tourbillon" or "Alarm" (watch has a mechanical ringer).

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just picking a number that I thought would be in range of a 'first nice watch.' Hell, convincing my wife to spend even 1k will be hard enough.

Hubert gives fair counsel though, I don't want something that will depreciate a whole lot, if at all - if avoidable.

10. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    In that price range a baume and mercier capeland would be my choice.
    It's not a brand like a rolex that everyone would know but its still a sweet watch that'll keep good time
    If they still make it.

-Dave

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Maybe buy a used one then that has already taken much of the depreciation hit?

12. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    Rolex=Mercedes, meaning most people have no clue what they are buying, they just buy it because everyone else has it. Rolex's are mass produced, with almost all of them using the same movement. It is a quality product, but they are not a prestige watch maker in my opinion. Anyone who ever worked in a chop shop brokerage firm knows what the stockbroker kit is; a used SL and a diamond presidential. There are only a handful of " real " watchmakers left IMO, everyone else uses mass produced Valijoux movements.

My top 5:

Patek
    Audemars
    Breguet
    Lange
    Vacheron

13. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Coming from a family that is big in watches, My dad has an IWC portuguese(sp), rolex stainless datejust jubilee(sp) band, and a two tone submariner. While my mom has a Rolex President, two tone datejust, and a corum. I can tell you that my dad says he gets more compliments about the IWC then either of his rolex's. Also FWIW my mom loves her corum more as well. It doesn't matter who you are it is not easy to wear a solid gold rolex and not have people think its fake. I wear a breitling and love the fact most average people don't know what it is. I like things that are unique but thats just me.
    Erik

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I don't think Rolexs keep very good time at all. Rolex just has a good marketing department. Aside from that everyone has one, most people will assume it's a fake before thinking it is real. They are nice status symbols if you're into that. If you are buying a watch to buy a watch, get a Patek, Breitling, Audemars - something in that vein. Just MHO from a few years working with jewelry.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Who cares about depreciation of a watch? If you are worried about depreciation you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. Who buys a watch planning on selling it in the future?(not talking about fine watch collectors, just average Joes). Buy what you think looks good and want to wear. Very few if any under 4k watches will hold much value at all.

16. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    For under $4000, you can buy an Omega Seamaster AquaTerra Co-Axial. Its stlye allows it to be worn in shorts with flip-fops or a worsted-wool bespoke-tailored suit. The co-axial movement allows for a VERY precise measurement of time, as well as maintenance intervals of 10 years, vs 5 for non-co-axial movements.

I'll try to dig up a picture of the watch. Very nice piece.

While Omega does use the mass produced Valijoux movements, it does not take away from the piece. A Patek Phillipe or Audemars Piaget cost $20,000 because they make thier own movements. IMHO, a low-complication Patek movement is of the same quality as a Valijoux movement. When you start to look at tourbillions, minute repeaters, day-date complications, etc etc, then you have a difference, but if you just want a finely crafted automatic, Valijoux is more than adequate.

17. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    #17 Nibblesworth, Dec 9, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Isaac Mizrahi sells product at target, he also sells $25000 gowns. Never said entry level bro.

Luxury goods are 50/50 to those that drop like a rock to those that get to be 'collector's items'

I buy what I want, money and the liquidity of my assets take away the fun.

19. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Agree with you. My watch is much like my car, I'm going to use it. Buy something because you like it/it's useful/etc... and not because someone else says to buy it or for the recognition it brings.

20. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I agree 100% with you. Buy something that will make you happy!

People are happy for many reasons about their watches. I, however, will not be happy if everyone has the same watch as me or if my watch depreciates each year. It's sort of like buying a Ferrari. If everyone had a Ferrari, I would not buy own one myself.

21. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    To me, I think of Rolex as the 'beater' of my watch collection. It is something I wear when I know I am going to do something that will subject my watch to abuse, such as skiing, etc. It is a good watch that will take a lot of damage. Now, if I was going to buy a 'fine watch,' a Rolex would not be my first choice. I certainly don't want something that everyone else wears, nor do I want something that will not retain some sort of value. The brands that I suggest, and that others have certainly mentioned, are:

Patek
    Audemars
    Jaeger LeCoultre (to a certain extent)
    IWC (The very high end stuff)
    Blancpain (to a certain extent)
    Franck Muller

Also, when buying a watch, I try not to pay retail, as you will invariably take a hit when trying to resell it (for those of you that are inclined to resell). Although, if you don't buy it from an authorized dealer, you are most likely not going to get a factory warentee. This is a problem when something breaks.

Speaking of watches... for you watch collectors: what is your dream watch? For me, I would like a Patek Philippe 5013 Minute Repeater or a Patek 5102 Celestial. Maybe Santa will be extra generous this year :)

22. paulb

paulb Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradley
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rolex is a good watch but overpriced for what you get. For $3300-$3400 you could get a new Stainless Submariner (16610). For around $5K you could get a new Steel/18K Sub (16613).

If your budget is under $3K I would recommend Omega. If you have more than $4K to spend I would go with some of the other brands previously recommended. One of my favorites is Ulysse Nardin. They still manufacture all of their own movements (Rolex does not) and have been doing so since 1846. "The Freak" is a technological marvel.

I am in the watch business and can refer you to an authorized dealer (most brands) who will give you a good price if you are interested.

Paul

23. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    If you're looking for a nice looking watch that will hold up well, I have to put a word in for Tag Heuer. My parents have had matching Tag Heuers (isn't that cute?) for maybe 10 years now. They wear them skiing, hiking, traveling, to the beach, literally everywhere, and they still look great and keep excellent time. Don't get a Rolex. They're a dime a dozen. They seem to mostly be in the $1,000 to $2,500 range....

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Rolex is like Ferrari, it doesnt particularly do anything well, but look good. I dont care about depreciation on a watch, i just care how it looks. I have a Presidential with diamond dial, diamond bezel, a two tone datejust (ugly watch), stainless yachtmaster with platinum bezel, and soon the Masterpiece. The Yachtmaster and Masterpiece are great everyday watches, which are seldom seen.

25. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    How do Reymond Weil watches fit in? (Not as high end "timepieces," but as watches against the rolex's , tag's , et. al.?)