F1 gearbox upset... | FerrariChat

F1 gearbox upset...

Discussion in '360/430' started by bostonmini, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Why does ferrari only offer the F1 on the stradale? I can sort of understand that the F1 is the way to go on the enzo, as it is almost as close as possible within reason to the F1 cars in a road vehicle. The Challenge Stradale is not suppposed to be this, it is for ROAD USE, where the stick is better, lasts longer and has that feel that cant be replicated...c'mon....I know its realistically as fast, according to most magazine tests...

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I agree. To me, the F1 is a deal breaker, and I would rather own a 360 than a Stradale because of the lack of choice. I've driven both transmissions and even on the track I prefer the stick. Virtually everyone I know with the F1 has some reliability issues, some minor, some major.

Gary

3. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal

...and also save a few bucks at the same time.

4. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i would have loved to see the CS or even the Enzo with a manual gearbox, especially the CS. besides, the silver gated shifter looks sooo much better than that little nub on the center console!

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    What about the new sequential gearbox used in the new 360GTC? It's supposed to be much faster than the paddle-shifters.

Picture source: Ferrari Owner's site

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I think the choice of eliminating that from the Stradale is that the paddle is faster than the manual. Like it or not.
    The paddle allows more flexible setup. The paddle is a more racing inspired shifting.

We all do not like change (heck, I still hate the new format of FC) but with time we realize that these inovations get the better of us. They become essentials.

I guess I will rather have the Stradale even if it has paddles. And at this juncture I have driven paddles for a while and do not like them as much as the manual.

7. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    What I am trying to say is that you have to see the Stradale for what it really is, a street legal race car. If you need the glovebox then order the 360, if you like the leather wrapped nick-nacks order the street version. If you want a lightweight race ready street legal 360 you have one choice.

8. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    thats a great point and i totally agree with you. i love the CS becuase its so raw and race inspired. it reminds me of what the F40 was. so bare bones, and all business. thats what a ferrari is in my eyes.

but i am not asking for a car that is less race inspired becuase it doesnt have the F1, and im not saying that i wouldnt own one becuase it just comes with the F1 (once the CS came out, it went very high on my "Ferraris needed" list). anyway, point being, i personally would rather have a manual gear box becuase i love the sense of accomplishment when i come slamming into a corner braking as hard as i can and blipping up the throttle with the same foot that im breaking with while pushing the clutch in and out then neutral, rev, and back in gear.....ahhhh it was perfect (not always though!). thats what i love

but as you said,technology moves on...

although, i dont see the F1 being that much faster than a manual box (with a good driver), so for me, it is a high price to pay for such a small improvement.

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    yes, you guys are all correct, the stick is a must...so lets get a petition going? hehe. I will just be disgusted if they stop offering it all together, but I recall an article a long time ago saying "as long as I, Luca, am in charge, the normal Ferrari's will all have traditional manual shift options"...whens his contract up?

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Sorry, one more thing, I do not own an F car (yet) but may become one in the near future, but one thing i have a question on is that gated shifter....looks GORGEOUS, but does it work well? Ive heard some say yes, some no, but how can you miss a shift when you SEE it going into place? A freind that used to work at Ferrari of NE told me the 360 shifter is superior to the 348 etc by a lot, and so was the 355s...

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I wondered that too before I drove one, and found it to be "invisible"...the 360 gearbox just works seamlessly, and snicks from gear-to-gear without me being aware of the gates at all.

Gary

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "but how can you miss a shift when you SEE it going into place"

Not that I miss shifts, but... when I am driving and shifting gears I don't look at the stick, I look at the road.