'85 308 headlight problem | FerrariChat

'85 308 headlight problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Tonight when I turned on my headlights, the passenger side didn't raise up. I hear a clicking sound at the relay whenever I activate the switch.

To test the relay, I switched the left and right headlamp relays and nothing changed--ie, the driver side works, the passenger side doesn't. I sprayed the relay contacts w electrical cleaner as well.The fuse for the headlamp motors was also replaced, with no change.

Next, I checked the wiring connectors around the motor. I pulled them all apart, sprayed with contact cleaner, reconnected--again, no change. I also loosened the ground wire aside the motor, sprayed and retightened--no change.

Re: juice, I get juice on one wire of the three in the large white connector going to the headlamp--a gray wire. Nothing at the green one. There are 2 other connectors ( w 2 wires each) going to the lift motor as well--one black and one white. I get juice in the white connector, but nothing at the black. Should there be juice there? Is one for lifting up and the other for stting down the headlamp?

Any ideas about what to look for and where? Is there another ground wire somewhere at each bucket or is there just the one. Prior to this, the headlight lifters worked perfectly.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    check the archives....there has been a couple threads on this in the past. Often times it is traced to diodes on the headlight lifting motors. Replace the bad diode does the trick.

The threads will have other checks as well, but you have done many of them already.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Doc,

Replace the bad diode does the trick BUT the 1985 here has a coating that makes changing it nearly impossible. See posts at:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/308247.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/306948.html

Purchased new motor at Ferrari UK for approximately $150 including shipping. You MUST STATE the exact part number on the motor as there are TWO types. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS: Getting the plastic cover off (and back on) the motor is a MAJOR pain in the tuchas :-(

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    The problem turned out to be nothing more than a loose nut on the actuator arm! After tightening back up, everything worked perfectly again.

5. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Doc,
    Too bad I didn't see your initial post until this morning. I had the same thing happen two months ago. Fussed around for an hour until I realized what it was.

Tom

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Doc,
    Glad it was an easy fix for once....I should have remembered that with the "diode problem" the headlight will usually "wink" or open completely, but close again.