What does the future hold for certain careers? | FerrariChat

What does the future hold for certain careers?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jordan747_400, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    What do you guys think are going to be the most expanding careers in the next 10 years or so? Any certain fields in technology that I should watch out for? Im just trying to get a better idea on where the country/world will be in 10 years so I can better plan for my own career and possibily twoards some long term investing ideas.

2. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Every day I'm seeing the brightest and best of the old Dot.com crowd re-tooling their skills and getting into BioTech. Seems to be the next gold rush... for marketing, sales, business start-up, Financail, engineers and IT people.

Baby boomers are aging and Medical is one industry where demand seems unlimited.

( I still see half the starts ups go broke... but there's alway more coming down the path)

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Ive been thinking about investing somehow in some medicare businesses. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

4. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    On a morbit note... somebody has to bury the babyboomers, a public cemetary company might have an upcurve for the books. Their customers are dying to get in.(not my first choice, but an idea)

Alrighty, on a positive note. :D The world is going wireless. Right now, at this moment, wireless is where PC's were in the early 80's. So its a matter of what big fish will swallow up the little fish.

Information Technology may outsource and streamline itself into automation. Only a small few employees will have to physicly unscrew a component and replace it.

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love the wireless industry also. But its still a year or two from getting its act together and catching on fire.

I have seen many large projects go no where and be scrapped after millions have been invested. Seems no one can figure out an industry standard. Everytime they complete a new project, tech has already passed it by.

Also, the over capacity in telecom has kept prices so low that wireless still looks like an expensive luxury.

Asian market is the only thing keeping our wireless makers alive right now.

BioTech is hiring right now
    Wireless is still next year or the year after?

6. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    One word, two syllables: China.

Invest in Chinese manufacturing, learn chinese, whatever it takes.

When China goes fully free-market, it'll be a scary big-boom of $$$.

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Can you elaborate a little bit? Or point me in the right direction to learn some more...

8. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Well, consider two things:

1. 1 billion people. Big market.
    2. Cheap labor: right now, a chinese fridge sold at Best Buy sells for some rediculously low number (can't for some reason think of the manufacturer). It beats all US makers by some big number like 40% or something. Labor there is cheap, production quality is good, and Americans like to save money, even at the expense of US jobs. Another good example is chinese bras.

Also consider the fact that America will probably be one of china's biggest markets, and there will be a big need for fluent chinese speaking US business men to do contract negotiations, sales, mergers, etc etc.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #9 wax, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You want the SURE FIRE way to success? I'm going to share it with you. PM me with executed NDA's. Aw hell...You can keep a secret right? OK.

Start a long distance company with a these specific names with which to market. The names are as follows:

Hmmmm.
    I don't know.
    Which one's the cheapest?
    What do you think?
    Which one's best?

Everytime a consumer orders new telephone service, the order taker asks which LD provider they want. The consumer asks one of the above mentioned question and BAM! New customer. Get the picture yet? I figure at least 12 % of new phone service will be directed to the new company. Company car....Hmmmmmm. yeahhhhhh.

Ain't that something?

DL :)

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I remember reading about that one several years ago. It's a good idea but I'm sure all the obvious names have been claimed.

If you want a real growth industry and are interested in technology I would suggest looking into the emerging field of Teledildonics. Just don't look into it at work :D

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    A big factor is how serious Bush is about his new space race. If he really goes at it like JFK did and actually launches the rocket & starts a Moon base, Well hold on to your hats bcus if private business gets a grip there its going to be a whole new frontier. This could dwarf the 90s bull market in computers and it could be the most important step in colonization since the Gold Rush or the days of the SPanish Conquistadores. Its going to be HUGE

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I am also buying stocks of Cos that own water rights or build water filters, purifiers bcus I think the price of water may rise dramatically bcus everybody is saying how fresh water will become more scarce in the future.

China unforetunately will become stronger, All the zombie WalMart shoppers are helping that happen. The US is already China's #1 trading partner and the US has a major deficit with China. If stupid Americans keep buying cheap Chinese crap the CHinese will own the US within 30 years or so. Scarey thought

14. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    AS I was saying before I got side tracked :) it happens ofetn, if the space thing is for real then it will seriously affect aerospace, computers, robotics, solar power, mining, life supprt systems, agriculture, medicine, materials tech, astronomy, and much more

15. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Developing countries, like China and India will NOT buy into current technologies like light rail and a country wide fiber optic network.

These countries are going to LEEPFROG to the new mag lev trains and the entire nation will go wireless to start. Chinese kids will NEVER know that there were ever phones that plugged into a wall.

They don't have the same sorts of "Debate" about the morality of biotech research. If it has the possibility to make the country better off finacially or militarily they will do it. The chinesse people are still very opressed but I think they are a lot like Spain under Franco. They willingly give away a certain amount of their rights in exchange they get a very safe country.

However, don't write off America just yet.

As an industry I'd say biotech has lots of promise. Software as an on demand service has a lot of promise. I'd much prefer to "rent" halo for my xbox for 5 bucks then if I like it downlaod and buy it for 30 bucks more. The direct sale of video games from the developer to the consumer has lots of promise.

We need to get past excel charts and traditional methodologies of visualizing our data. Pie charts are good but will the rich data we collect now there are better way for busimness to use information then the traditional reports. Tools that help business owners EASILY manage and analyze their data that doesn't cost millions would be a good market.

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This is exactly what happened in Bhutan which is S of China & W of India. They went straight from nothing to wireless phones, satelite phones & TV, GPS, & new tech

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jordan,

Check out Hillenbrand. Ticker HB.

They do health care, and coffins!!!

As we say here at the hospital, "We got white trucks in the front, and black trucks in the back, which one shall I call for YOU?"

Discalimer: I don't own individual shares in this firm.

But I know one of the VPs and she is HOT! LOL
    Looks good in a pearl necklace. ;)

18. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

As the saying goes...There are only 2 things certain in life.....DEATH & TAXES.

so Hilenbrand (HB) would considered a staple stock for everyone to own! :)

19. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Jordan,

If you want to invest in China, check out these China-related stocks trading on the Big Board and NAZ. CHL, CHU, UTSI, HNP, PTR, SNP. SHI. SINA, SOHU, CHINA, NTES. Disclaimer: This is NOT a solicitation or recommendation to buy any of the aforementioned equities. Additionally, you may also want to conduct your due diligence on the pipeline for upcoming China IPO's. There are seven Chinese companies slated to go public between now and Q4 '04. Best of luck!

20. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I agree with William H, water will be huge. There is just so much pure water left that the world will need to transport it all over the place and use water purification systems. I think that neighborhoods will get together and purchase a water clensing system for the neighborhood. Right now water is the third most traded commodity in the world.

21. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody! Im going seriously look into some of these companies in China as well as health care.

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Welcome to the new America:

Here's all we will need to know:

Paper or plastic, for here or to go and can I super Size that for you?

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have serious reservations about investing in China, I am not investing there simply bcus I do not want to be a shareholder in Cos that use slave labor, beat their employees, pay them subsistence wages if at all. I also do not want to have anything to do with their Govt which is simply 1 of the most oppressive, murderous, treacherous regimes in the world. I would rather deal with India a million times before China

24. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Yep, computers are passee, and most of the labor will be outsourced. The next big thing is bioinformatics, and we will see biotech finally take off as the population ages. Drug companies and hospitals are good bets, too.
    In general, get a profession that is somewhat location-independent. I specialized too much (software human factors in a corporate setting), so I am limited to 2-3 areas of the country. They happen to be nice ones, but you get the point.
    Good luck.

25. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nanotech will be HUGE!!!! IBM is 1 of the biggest developers of it