Ceramic Coating Headers | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating Headers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lou staller, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Does any one have any experence with ceramic coating exhaust headers on a 308 QV? I removed all the aluminum skins from the front and rear headers. Underneath are some *****n' looking stainless steel tubular headers. A few years ago I had the headers on a blown small block Chevy motor coated and it certainly helped to keep the heat inside the pipes. My question is, should I do both inside and outside or just one surface? Any suggestions?

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I double wrapped mine (it shows in the pic in my profile) and it worked very well to keep the heat in the pipes. I thought ceramic coatings were primarily cosmetic because the coating is quite thin, but I could be wrong.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    This has been a big issue with the Europa contingent because our cars tend to heat up even worse than a 308. There was a long protracted debate and the final concensus was that wrapping, even SS, is not as good an idea as coating the outer surface. Coating the inner surface was discourgaed as it creates turbulence and changes the inner diameter (we are assuming you have a system tuned by total displacement to your car and purposes i.e. street or track.)

The plusses are a cooler engine bay and more efficient breathing. Be aware that overheating headers may be the symptom of something that needs fixing, like running too lean, and coating/wrapping them could be just a band aid approach to an issue that should first be addressed.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have a set of 308 headers that I purchased from Steve M. after he bought his TR, which I had sent off to HPC.
    I had them coat both inside and out, and have been pleased with the results...
    The inside coating is not applied anywhere near as thick as the outside of the headers, so its not a problem with flow.

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    It does keep the heat in nicely, but in a few years you'll have no actual headers left. Several people I know used to wrap their headers on their Formula Fords, and after a few seasons, they'd take the wrap off and have basically nothing left underneat.

I'd remove it if I were you.

Coating the headers, inside and out, is a great option and helps control the heat very well. It will also protect them much better than wrapping them.

Terry Springer had his done for ~$150 I believe.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/306687.html?1061771737

6. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Thanks mk e, ken dave and sean f for your input.
    Ken, I just sold my '69 Lotus Elan S4 Coupe to help finance my 308 project. Had an absolute ball with the car. My wife thought it was to small driving around Socal with all the SUV and jacked up trucks so I was always alone. Almost bought a Europa but even I was concerned about getting ran over! As far as the Ferrari, what I'm looking for is a cooler engine compartment. The car I had coated headers on was a 1932 Ford streetrod which didn't have any hood louvers or heat outlets and still ran cool with the coated headers.
    Dave, good news about you being satisfied with your coated headers.
    Sean f, I was so taken back by the photos of Terry's engine compartment I forgot to look at the headers! I want his blower! Awesome!

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Not trying to discourage you from coating ---- consider this just a comment. My car has been running for years w/o the heat shields and insulation. Just naked pipes. No heating issues, altho when I first bought the car, I was concerned and looked into all the wrapping/coating options. But it's never caused any problems. The pipes are quite thin and seem to cool very rapidly after shutdown. When running, there is adequate air flow now that the shields are gone.

9. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

i did it on my Turbo 308qv and am very happy with it. I say go for it.

It looks good too.

cheers

Paul

10. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    I've ceramic coated two of my 308's headers, and I recommend it. The concern about degradation of the header is limited to the mild steel headers (Euro, non-catalytic cars) only. The catalytic cars have stainless steel headers that don't tend to "reduce in oxidizing atmospheres". The underhood heat is improved, and it improves the ability to work on the car while it's still hot.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had the complete exhaust system cermanic coated on my BB512i. It looks great and does seem to keep the engine compartment a little cooler.

12. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    All right guys, ceramic coating it is! Now all I have to do is select a color. Black or silver? On my old Lotus Formula Ford the pipe was yellow. Looked awesome on a green race car. I'm leaning towards silver for the 308. Thanks...

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have thought about doing this several times but I am not sure it would be worth the time and expense. Besides a lower temp in the engine compartment, what other advantage would there be on my 308? Besides, is it really necessary to lower the temp back there if you aren't having a temp problem anyway?

I am not being critical, I am only curious. How much "performance ROI" would I get in doing this if my engine isn't already out of the car?