Shields or no shields? | FerrariChat

Shields or no shields?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by abarre, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    My understanding on the SF shields are that they are for the race cars. With that in mind, do you think they look right on the street cars?

I like the way they look and am contemplating putting some on my red/tan 3.2 Mondy Cab, but can't decide if they would look good or just poseur.

Any comments or pictures?

Also, if I was to put some on it, where (exactly) are they supposed to go and where do you get them? I'm guessing they are not just decals.

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    IMHO they are racing badges... Badges, we don't need no stinking badges.
    My 308 had them attached when I bought it, but I removed them.
    If you like the look then put them on, it's your car.

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #3 cavallo_nero, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i debated putting them on my black euro 308, but once i did - i was very happy with them, they look great, something that not too many other cars have.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You are going to get a lot of opinions on this issue, but what it really comes down to is do you want them on your car. I personally think they look great. By the way, when the shields are factory installed the fender is formed to provide a slight cavity for the shields, something that won't be happening in all likelihood on your car. I believe they are made of enameled metal of some kind.

Gary

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    No shields for me on any regular production Ferrari. No choice on the limited edition supercars but they won't look right without them.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #6 BigTex, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have seen so many good looking cars that have been crapped up with slightly crooked horsey stickers...
    Maybe it's just me, there was a time (17) when I liked racing stickers all over a car, but now I will not even put a bumper sticker on any of my cars.
    I guess I'm just old.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Put the raised enamel shields on. They look much better than the plain sticker. I got mine at Ferrari Beverly Hills for $8 each. Or if you want metal shields, a friend has a pair for sale. As to only putting shields on "race cars" I will say, bla bla bla bla bla. It's your car make it to your liking.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    ACK! Total POSEUR Mod!

For a race car, fine, but on the street you might as well get a wing and chrome some coffee cans for the exhaust while you are at it.

I'd say how I really feel, but decorum prevents it.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hahahahahaaaaa. You purists crack me up. Since you guys still haven't figured it out, I will let you in on a little secret. STOCK SUCKS!

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think just because tradition was no shields on a road car, that doesn't mean times haven't changed. The fact that they are offered as options from the factory shows this. There's a lot that hasn't traditionally been in road cars like air conditioning, but I'm gald it's in there now. same with airbags. same with all the different colors that are now offered. some types of change don't mean that you are stepping away from purity of the marque. I am not an aftermarket guy, but if the factory itself thinks it's ok, I certainly do too.

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The factory is trying to sell cars.

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Shields look good on any F car. I would put them on if you get the option to.

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I think the factory one's look pretty good.I'm not a huge fan of the sticker one's though.

15. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Personally, I enjoy the flowing lines of the cars much better without the distraction of the shields.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Check the archives, there must be 20 threads on this (comes up every 6 weeks).

Do you what you want, it's YOUR car. Don't sweat it.

Dave

17. Action_Item

Action_Item Rookie

Oct 4, 2003
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Todd Short