Landscape a slot car track | FerrariChat

Landscape a slot car track

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by tifosi12, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd like to build a nice slot car track, kinda like a diorama or model train.

What is the best/easiest way to get the terrain (grass, sand) to be level with the slot car track?

My Scalextric tracks are about 1/4 inch (5 mm) above the ground, which makes the scenery look a bit toyish. Any recommendations?

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    There certainly are a lot of websites that could help. One of the best sources I have seen is RC Model magazine (at Barnes and Noble). They had an article this month on a rally track landscape that looked great.

Also, if there is a local hobby shop that sells trains, they should have some landscaping books and materials.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I went to a couple of hobby shops, even got a model train landscaping book. Also bought a slot car book that talks about building your own track. However I seem to fall here into a black hole: None of these books discuss this particular problem. It seems, that slot car folks just slam the track onto a table and put a grandstand next to it and call it a day. Also model train folks don't have that issue as railroad tracks are elevated in real life.
    :(

4. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Andreas: It would be somewhat time consuming, but try laying out the track on plywood, and then trace it with a pencil. Then use a router to remove the wood inside the pencil marks. That would leave you with a nice groove to insert the track.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Mike, thanks. I thought about that. Time consuming is the right word...

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    At one point in my life I was a world class scale model builder.
    We would use celluclay to construct ground areas and then use random sand patterns adhered to the dry celluclay airbrushed appropriately.

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Easier than the router, trace your track on a 1/4 sheet of board, cut it out, mount it near the outside edges of your track.