Breitling vs Rolex | FerrariChat

Breitling vs Rolex

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Tspringer, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Im sure wasting time today.... despite having too much work on the desk! Ahhhhh gotta love the internet!

Ive got a watch bug. Posted in and read the other thread... but wanted to present a specific question.

I am thinking of getting a watch. Prices on nice watches seem somewhat stupid. But, if its not likely to depreciate a bunch then in my funny mind I can concoct some non-rational but sweet sounding way to justify it.

I drive a Daytona.... and a big Porsche fan which won alot at Daytona.... and I really like the Rolex SS Daytona white face watches. However... there seem to be many different models of these at different prices.

I also took a look at the Breitling website and they have some very nice models. I like the Hercules model that looks almost like the Daytona. Maybe there are other models I should look at ? Experts what do you suggest?

Sure seems the price difference is a bit nutty. $4K for a Breitling and $10K for the Rolex? Why? What justifies the higher Rolex price? Is it worth it? Does a Rolex hold more value over time? Is Rolex really just paying for a name the masses know but doesnt represent anything actually rare?

Is buying one pre-owned viable? Any way to really be sure its not fake?

Terry

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for $4,000 get a breitling...for $10,000 try and get an AP Royal Oak Offshore...

i have a lot of watches but no rolex...just have never been a rolex fan...

the breitlings can take a beating so if u r going to wear it everyday u wont have to worry...

3. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Never been a Rolex fan either. Do they even make their own movements?

Personally, I'd have a real hard time splashing out on that kind of cash for a watch that isn't even made by a registered "manufacture" (in the Swiss legal definition of the word).

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Nice choice Ricky, I love the Panerais.

6. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

7. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    If I had to choose between the two- I'd go for Breitling too. Too many Rolex's out there and also fake ones everywhere.

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Interesting----i have both and it's Rolex for me.

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The Rolex will take a beating as well. While I agree that you see them everywhere and fakes are plentifull I still like a couple models of Rolex. The stainless steel submariner is a classic.

No reason not to buy pre-owned, you save a little money and if you take care of the watch it will hold it's value pretty well.

I've never really been a breitling fan.

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Tyler,
    i agree re Rolex Sub;I have S/S and gold with blue face and love it.Sure,there are fakes but YOU know what your'e wearing. Breitling is totally different kettle of fish.... slightly off the wall styling but everyday wearable , stylish & desirable.
    My next fav is IWC, which i sold to a friend and regretted the second i did it.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  12. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I have a breitling - love it, rolex is nice too,

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I agree. Panerai's are "in" now and will always be in since the more hip people are wearing Bigger-faced watches. I have the Panerai 1950 and it is such a nice watch! I think retail on the 1950 was orginally $6500 when it came out this year in the USA, and now the retail is $7900.

A 21.5% price increase in under a year!!!

Now for ROlex and Breitling, you will never see a 21.5% in the value of those watches. Maybe after 10 years or so you will.

I personally despise Breitling but having an everyday Rolex stainless steel Daytona to bang around is OK.

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    There appear to be many different models of the Daytona SS ? I like the white face models.... but there are apparantly even several of those.

Anyone know which models are the best? Most "collectible" if that means anything at all?

Terry

15. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    white face Daytona models sell for a bit more than black face ones.

16. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    If you know your watch is real why would it matter that others might think it's fake ? I guess if you have what should be a 10/15k watch on your wrist and you get out of a $3,000.00 car some may question. But I know a guy who owns a collection of watches worth 250k and drives a POS car because he's not a car guy.

Rolex does make their own movements for the Daytona- the previous version has a Zenith movement which Rolex modified for their use.

17. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Why does no one on this site like Omegas???

Fantasic watches!