328 Clock | FerrariChat

328 Clock

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chiaro_Slag, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The clock in my 1987 328 seems to be running slow. After a day or two, it is about 15 minutes slow - Any ideas?

Thanks

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm impressed it works at all! :) Remove it, and send it to Palo Alto Speedometer for repair. Around $110 plus shipping, call first for an estimate. They will replace the plastic face too, as part of the service. I had to have this done on both my 308 and current 328. Just one of those things that most people "live with" rather than fix.

BTW, if you rather find someone "local", I would think that any speedometer shop could do the work, and replace the plastic lens.

3. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    The clock on my 328 has not worked since I bought it. I have never had it fixed since it did not bother me. However, I would like to know what's involved in fixing it too.

Theo

4. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    I do not know why but this happened to me. My 328 clock was not working properly, and I knew the problem was some way related to the lights indicator in the instrument panel. The clock stoped for brief spaces of time at the same time that a smal speedo light was going on/off.

The bulb in the speedo which it is used to indicate when the lights are on/off was bad. I did replaced it and sudenly the clock started working again.

I don't think the bulb was the cause, of course. But what I did when replacing the bulb was to unplug, clean, and plug again all the connectors behind the instrument pannel. I think that fixed my problem.

It might be as simple as that.

- Julio.

5. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Clock in mine only works intermittently, but here's something: In my BB512 the 1st owner said clocked stopped "around '87" so I never gave it a second thought. I had to jump start the Boxer due to a weak battery, which is not advised due to not being good for Dinoplex ignition. I jump it, nothing blows up and the clock starts working!!!! And has not lost a minute in 2 months since...You gotta love these things!

6. Cenzzo

Cenzzo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    The clock in my 911 used to do that, but only when it was cold. The one in my 87 GTS runs like a champ, keeps excellent time, which brings me to my question. Does anyone know who makes that clock? The one in my 911, "tick, tick, ticks" like the good little quartz clock it is, but the one in my 328 seems to be a very smooth sweep hand, almost like a Rolex. Only expensive movements do that - does anyone know the maker? Thanks . . .

7. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    My 328 clock keeps great time.

When it's quiet all you can hear in the garage is the hum of that little clock......

It's saying "drive me....."

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The clocks are easy to repair. Depending on the cosmetic face, access to the mechanism can be easy or difficult. The Dino clock has a chrome ring that is extremely hard to remove without bending. The Boxer clock is easy to gain access.

The intermittent clock symptom is frequently due to the shaft, upon which the hands are pressed, "jumping" out of its bearings. I had two such events, one in the Dino, and one in the Boxer. There is a screw on one end of the shaft that provides support and pressure on the shaft. This allows for adjustment of slow/fast. I suggest that before sending the clock out for repair, carefully open the instrument (with proper RadioShack micro screw drivers). Inspect the main shaft to see if it is where it is suppose to be, and that it has not jumped out of its support. The mechanism is not very complicated. Great kitchen table fun late at night.

Jim S.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I believe the gauges (and clock) where made by Veglia (I know my previous 308 gauges said "Veglia" on them)...but the clock movement may have been (and likely was) sourced from another vendor.

DIY-ers,
    Careful, the 308/328 has a similar metal bezel that would need to be bent/pried in several locations to open, and similarly bent/pried back to close...I looked at it, and figured it wasn't worth the risk...

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I don't know if this will help, as the clocks in my F-cars keep near perfect time; but you can give it a try.

In the Rolls, if the clocks run slow, you turn the time adjustment knob a few revolutions clockwise, and then set the correct time. This speeds up the clock.

Alternatively, if the clock runs fast, turn the knob counterclockwise a few times, to slow down the clock.

The only car that I own with a clock that doesn't work, is an American car; wouldn't ya know it?? :(

11. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    One caveat - my experience is working on the vintage clocks - mechanical movement with electromagnetic drives. The newer clocks likely are quartz movements. I suspect the mechanics and drive train are similar, and that the excitation unit is quartz. This would not deter me from taking a peek inside.

Jim S.

12. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    I had the exact same problem with my 328 clock - losing time when it was sitting there waiting to be driven.
    The battery was weak too.
    After fitting a new battery the clock worked perfect and still does.
    I think the clocks are quite choosy when it comes to power.
    A little low on the voltage and they go slow.
    Just my 2 cents (eurocents, that is)

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Bonhams auction notes that the 76 308GTB clock is made by Borletti! They have the instruction tag still hanging on it. HTH

14. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    That is what I was trying to say. I did experinece that problem and a feter cleaning the contacts the clock started working perfectly again. I also think they are really sensitive to power an small lose of power will make them run slower.

- Julio.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Speedy308, if you look at the 328 gauges, they actually say "Veglia/Borletti" on them.....

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!!! I wasn't sure my observation was relevant to the 328 series.
    I do know that's an expensive lil' clock!
    Mine is missing due to previous owner, I'm blessed with a VDO ammeter!

I hope to live long enough to sort this car out!

Battery maintenanace is a big deal. Keep the water up, or go with one of those spiral gel units (Optima)